Mais voyons donc ,Frederique!!
On va faire de bonne Congac sur le bord de la Riviere Spey ! :razz:
La prochaine etape c'est .Achetons Jack Daniels , est changer le nom pour
Jacques Daniel :eek:

Que? Je ne comprendes pas

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
As long as they don't mess with the Portwood Finish I don't care if the devil himself owns it. :devil:

And after taking some time to think about it, I decided that this thread was indeed fishing related. :cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I find it interesting that this is in the Spey Basics forum... Umm is there a part of spey casting i am missing?? am i doing it wrong??? :D Have i been fooling myself by thinking spey casting can be done without Scotch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could have been worse: could have been the Japanese...! :chuckle:
From France ;-))

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Rob, here in lies your problem!

roballen2 said:
I find it interesting that this is in the Spey Basics forum... Umm is there a part of spey casting i am missing?? am i doing it wrong??? :D Have i been fooling myself by thinking spey casting can be done without Scotch?
What you want is a 'malt,' usually called a 'single malt' on this side of the Pond. And yes, a small flask should be part of everyone's on river tackle. No room in your vest? Then you have far tooooo many fly boxes.
:D

Should have added:

"Scotch" usually refers to a 'blend' of two or more 'single' malts. And Robbie my friend to keep you from making another UNPARDONABLE OFFENSE the word (future reference only) is spelled: "Whisky."

·
Registered
24 Posts
It could be okay

The French are connoisseurs of a fine drink and the French saying “je ne sais que” shows they appreciate the magical ingredients which add to the total product. Not too sure how a less appreciative purchaser of these intangible contributions to the malt, might have reacted in wanting to streamline the production and increase profit. It could be a good thing.

One thing is for sure that if production is taken out of Scotland it is no longer Scotch, but just another whisky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it's an Irish word

Whiskey, by the way is an Irish, not a Scottish, word. In the native tongue it is spelled 'uisce' and means 'water'. The term for whiskey in Irish is 'uisce beatha', roughly pronounced 'ooiska baaha', and means 'water of life'.

And whiskey does have an 'e' in it, unless it was made in Scotland.

Nothing is sacred anymore, however, as actually Pernod Ricard, a French group, now owns both Bushmills and Irish Distillers Group, which makes Powers, one of my regulars, but we Irish don't let mere international corporate machinations interfere with our prejudices against the Scottish version of the distilled spirits clan.

And the Arabs now own Guinness Brewery in Dublin.

Enough to drive one to take a wee dram.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I knew the Irish had trouble spelling whisky and insisted on adding the extra "e"
I now have discovered that they cannot spell uisge beatha which of course comes from the scottish gaelic and means water of life.

As in all things the Scottish way is best.........has anyone heard of Moy casting? no it is Spey Casting and where is the Spey ........yep Scotland.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Willie Gunn said:
I knew the Irish had trouble spelling whisky and insisted on adding the extra "e"
I now have discovered that they cannot spell uisge beatha which of course comes from the scottish gaelic and means water of life.

As in all things the Scottish way is best.........has anyone heard of Moy casting? no it is Spey Casting and where is the Spey ........yep Scotland.
Well said Malcolm! Irish whisk(e)y :chuckle: ;Bit of an oxymoron is it not?

·
Registered
294 Posts
On the subject of malt ,tuesday night attended a Balvenie tasting supper ,food by the mad chef in his base - Sohos infamous French house .menu was
smoked trout with the 12 year old ,nice combo
grouse with partridge ,the marvellous denham estate venison and wild boar sausage (muist have some of those for a grayling BBQ.that went with the 15 YO ,i had a break from the whisky there ,didnt quite match .so anice drop of claret to aid the digestion ,
We finished the meal with a creme brullee with the 25 YO port wood with a glass of port ,now thats a malt to savour ,huge flavours .maybe a bottle for Xmas ,(please Santa) ,posted this elsewhere ,some time ago ,since have noted the local sales rep is a classic scandinavian blonde (stunning) .
I know nothing much to do with spey casting but a lot to do with the spey

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Malcolm,

I had no idea you wanted to make this personal :) I have a couple Irish Carbombs with your name on them!

Forget that, I think I will save them for myself. Hate to waste a Carbomb on a Scot :wink:

sinktip
(Irish blood, Scotch liquor)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, well, the Scots have always been very defensive about their spirits and their spelling skills.

Actually, I have always wanted to tour a Scottish distillery and ask whether they put their old socks in the still or in the casks where they age their spirits after distillation, to give their spirits that distinctive smell.

Now we Irish wear our socks and thus keep them, and the foot odour, out of the whiskey.

In point of fact, though, we are all celts and from the same blood, sort of like the Arabs and Israelis, but got in some minor feud about 1100 or so years ago, over religion or some such drivel, and have been denigrating each others' spirits ever since. I've not yet turned down the offer of a wee dram from any Scot, and none has turned down my offer of the Irish version.

Ah, Willie lad, we really should put down the cudgels and spears, and band together more against the Hun and the Norsk, especially the Norsk with their inferior brews and concotions. "Glugg"???? Imagine something alcoholic to drink that is darker than a fair pint of Guinness, twice as thick, and has raisins in the bottom of it? Perhaps that's why the Norsks have been raiding down to Scotland and Ireland for the last several centuries, raping the sheep and killing the women.

As far as it being called "spey" casting, why Mike Maxwell, God rest him, swore to me that he invented that term a mere 30 or so years ago. Then again it might have been what we were imbibing at the time that caused him to say that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The French do own it.

Dear gentlemen,
Fishing in Ireland is great and I'm fond of Scottish single malts, but I'm afraid the French do beat us all. Just have a look a the cover of this magazine :whoa:
Adrian

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts