Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting since i first cast a two hander ,A 13' 9wt loop grey line, to own one of my own so I set out to get one I got a blank some cork and recoil guides I picked it up from the builder today and headed straight for the salmon river caught a kelt the first cast and proceeded to cast through the wind, what an awsome feeling. On the forward stroke of a snap t the rod snapped with a loud crack at the first stripper guide I have a feeling it was caused by the guide any comments.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Blank defect?

In my experience with blanks on rods that I have built I always give them a full test drive before I give it to someone who wanted one built. The reason being that if a rod has a defect it will usally show it's self during the first few usages. I can't say for sure if your rods problem was the guides fault or a defect. If it was the guides fault it will be discovered when you remove it and inspect it for overly sharp edges that have dug into the blank or even crushed the blank. If it was at the first guide, counting from the bottom up, that is an area that has limited flex and I could not believe a guide could be the cause. More likely it was a defect. Thats my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What was the make of the blank?

I would suggest blank failure as the probable cause, especially if the rod was built by someone who knows what they are doing. Sadly this is one of the pitfalls with custom building, the blank will probably be replaced free of charge but the building cost will again be down to you.

I now tape the rings on to a new blank and without a handle or real seat put a line on it and give it a good test on a field or pond with the reel taped carefully to the blank. After spending a month building a rod that exploded first cast.

You have my sympathies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for info on Recoil guides

It is a loop grey line and i will have a new blank tomorrow. It looks as though the guide crushed the blank or pushed through it the rod was built at River sportsman in campbell river but i still think it was the guide specifically the spring action or flex almost like spring steel that was the main cause maybe the builder didn't put enough thread on anyway i would like info before i go through this all again thanks

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Probably not the guides. Loomis uses them on their high end stinger series without issue. I really like them.

Possible they were just wrapped too tight or just bad luck. Had this happen to me recently and it is no fun...

-sean

·
Registered
314 Posts
S--- happens

Having built several one and two handed rods over the years your assumption that it was a defect and not the guide is probably correct. Regardless of the manufacturer, all guides need to be inspected for proper fit and filed which most if not all custom builders do prior to assembly.

-------------------------
It's All About The Hunt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts