Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spey rod and line finally arrived yesterday and I was able to take my first casts with a double handed rod. Woo Hoo!

One of the things I noticed is that the line would squeak a bit going through the eyes of the rod. I'm guessing that this is because the rod and line are new and will go away once I break the rod in a bit more.

Or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have found that good eye drops with a lubricant, like Moisture Complete Drops, keep my eyes from squeaking and being too dry.

I see better and feel better, too. :)

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
"My eyes are squeaking"

Sounded like you had some weird medical condition. After reading your post it occured to me that my Scott SAS use to do that when it was new and had a new line on it. I don't have the rod any more, but I don't recall it making the noise after awhile. My thoughts are that its the coating on the line, maybe after it wears down it goes away. Good reason to cast and fish more!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to me with a new Winston BiiX and an Airflo line this year. It squeaked loudly enough to hear it 100 yards away.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mfa1967 said:
This happened to me with a new Winston BiiX and an Airflo line this year. It squeaked loudly enough to hear it 100 yards away.
Hmmm... Maybe it is the AirFlo line? (I'm using an AirFlo line too!) Maybe it's REALLY clean when it comes out of the package? I'll have to find some RIO Poo Goo :saeek: to put on it so it is slippery rather than squeky clean.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
You would be better off using stp son of a gun, but use it only on your airflo lines.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fisshman26 said:
You would be better off using stp son of a gun, but use it only on your airflo lines.
Reading the RIO website I get the impression that Poo Goo is just pure silicone lubrucant. I assume a can of spray silicone libricant from Home Depot would work just as well?

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
baldmountain said:
Reading the RIO website I get the impression that Poo Goo is just pure silicone lubrucant. I assume a can of spray silicone libricant from Home Depot would work just as well?
aside from the fact that the accelerants (sp?) used in an areasol can will degrade a flyline.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Actually, I'll probably get some actual line dressing instead.
The best thing to do is follow the advice of fisshman26.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The squeaking was much worse for me on the water. I talked with a rep for another line company and he said that the Airflo surface - which is a different material - is much smoother than other lines and that this caused extra close contact between the line and stripper guide, resulting in the squeak. I cut the Airflo off and put another line on the rod as a temporary measure, but I intend to work on the line to make it usable in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts