Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog ate most of my best jungle cock cape, as well as a bunch of purple marabou and orange guinea that I had out for tying spawning purples for the retirement fly swap. She was not happy that I left her on a Saturday morning - our usual time to play. She's 11 and has never touched my fly tying materials. Lesson learned.

Question - I was able to recover a few nails from the cape that she chewed up. Do I need to wash these feathers? If so, what to use?

Mark

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1st off, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear it. If you are gonna wash them just use a drop of dawn dish soap which you may want to since the slime will mat everything down. After they dry hit em with some steam and you they should look pretty good.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hah! sorry... I had a dog that ate two fine dry fly necks some years back. Oh boy, I was pissed! Feel your pain

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Fortunately, my dogs had only previously got hold of some fox tails, and bucktail, but very little actually permanently damaged & discarded. One, however, got VERY interested in a pair of Skunk tails, which have had to be put way out of reach!

I would certainly go with Josh's suggestion of the simple soap wash and drying, and you'll be pleasantly surprised as to how much is still useful for tying ;)

Mike

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sorry to hear that! My 13-year old lab still digs holes in my lawn, in spite of getting in trouble for it every time. What's with these old dogs?!

Mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been lucky two Siberian huskies and a red nosed pit bull for ten years and they donot touch my stuff. I just make sure all hooks are secured and out of reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
A few years ago, I purchased a full sized black bear hide from a local taxidermist for tying hairwings. One of his customers never came back for it. I keep it tossed over a chair back, next to the door of my fly tying room - dogs never go in!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the stories

I really need to find a bear hide to guard my fly tying materials.

Even at 11, my dog thinks she's top dog. She routinely chases coyotes out of the yard. One day that may catch up with her. I am not sure that she would be afraid of a bear.....

I washed and steamed the feathers. They look OK, but not as nice as they were on the neck. :-(

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts