Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob Meisner says he also builds a heck of a custom reel ... but man you've got to see his rod building skills! Hoy Vey ... moving be damned; I'll be on the river with my 'new' Burkie 13'9' come dawn on Saturday AM.

A thing of great beauty ... now lets see if I can get it properly initiated with a Rogue River winter run.
:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Congrats on the new rod, OK how much is that 18 ft Daiwa going to go for ?

I have figured out how this spey rod economic model works after one year on this board.

I sense an 18 foot spey rod sale coming. :devil:

I could use it out here to make the drift boaters on our narrow rivers do that hawaian dance, you know the one where you must dance lower under the bar. Can't remember the name of it right now, but I could just see those DB guys having to duck under it, or else line their boat around me.

Let us know your plans.:chuckle:

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have to start checking ebay for it.:D

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this Spey Rod thing is the mens 'versions' of womens lament:

"So many men, so little time."

Like we should all get so luck.:devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Never seen a Burkeheimer, and I don't think I want to.

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hal, trust me .... with the 'emotional problems' you've already got..

with the light wt Sage, stroking a Burkie will only push you farther over the edge.
:devil:
fae

Couldn't resist: put rod in the car this morning and will take 'lunch' on a beach on the Rogue for a few minutes casting practice. Prep work for tomorrow morning.
:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very true! You can easily drop a grand for a new one.

mjyp said:
You wouldn't like it. Price tag would make you faint.:devil:
Only reason I could go for the rod is I got a "used" rod from Inland. But he takes very good care of his equipment so no problem on my end being the "second husband."
fae

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats why I don't want to see them, make sure they are not at the Great lakes mini spey clave in April. If they are I may not show.

A $ 1,000 for a rod really!:whoa:

The boss would surely have me out the door and be happy with my three sons and two siberians.

PM Out

·
Registered
886 Posts
Pounds not Dollars

Hal,
Have look at the B&W Double Spey 16' a whisker over £1000.
Don't fall in love, they also do a 15' and 13' just like triplets.

Malcolm

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, you can get 'them' for under a grand but ..

mjyp said:
Burkies are well under a $1000, just a touch more than a sage.

Blanks sure are pretty too.
when you look at the 'customization' you can do to a rod (special order per their web site) the 'clock is ticking' on your wallet.
:whoa:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I will build my own if I can find the time. I did two 15 years ago before the kids came and corporate downsizings etc.. When I had more time.

PM Out

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
burkheimers

Where can ya get a blank from? Give me a ballpark figure--please?:) :)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First 'test drive' this morning with a 7/8 XLT.

Screams line out of the tip with this combo. Fly was as 'bumbell' egg. Out at 100 foot plus a 13-15' leader without a wimper. This rod is not 'forgiving, neither is the line. ' Cast over the anchor or a busted cast, or a recovery cast. Get the timing of the two and BOOOOOM.

This rod/line are worth the wait and the money.
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hoy Vey!!! I know that the Burkie was one of the

"test beds" for the design of the XLT lines ... but you've just gotta run one of these hummers off this rod. Fly was a wted egg pattern on about a 14ísh foot leader. Timing AND casting over your 'anchor' is a must do!

Took me 15-20 minutes to get this bugger's whose, what, with what down AND then just BOOM! Actually lost a fly because I but the darn thing into the brush on the other side of the river.:whoa:

Ya Baby!:devil:

Bad news was only one fish this morning .... and I snagged the darn thing?:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
459 Posts
With that set up, it sounds like every cast GL fishers would be at risk of placing it into the other river bank bushes on 90 % of the rivers we fish.

PM Out

P.S. Overnight reports from some other rogue anglers indicate they are beginning to hit the winters pretty good. . Go get em !

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep, ice bound and it is going to be very tough reading his reports he is on the river right now I am sure. Think it is 50s there today, we won't see that until April. :mad:

Thats alright he will be losing lots of flies in the far bank and his supplies will be low, unlike our filled fly boxes. :D

Pm Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good numbers of winter fish are now showing up below Grants Pass.

pmflyfisher said:
With that set up, it sounds like every cast GL fishers would be at risk of placing it into the other river bank bushes on 90 % of the rivers we fish.

PM Out

P.S. Overnight reports from some other rogue anglers indicate they are beginning to hit the winters pretty good. . Go get em !
Lot of guide boats running the river between Whitehorse Park and Robinson Bridge. With that many (watched at least 10 go by me in an hour) must be a considerable number of the buggers hanging in that 8-10 miles of water. Given Whitehorse is at least 30 miles down stream (and at least two dams/fish ladders) below the Medford area, suspect it will be the 'usual' late January before we see any real numbers "up here."

Water conditions were perfect for fly fishing. In the GP area a sink tip was a good idea, the one run I hit on the way home (Touville Park area) was dry line work all the way. :smokin: At the four places I fished yesterday AM, there were two bank anglers on one long bar (Robinson Bridge) and I was the only guy on the other three. Surprisingingly enough, this is fairly normal.

Morning temp was 42 degrees when I left the house (it did cool down a bit after that due to fog rolling in) then topped out in the low 50's for the day.

War is Hell!:hehe:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts