Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this press release from Musto reguarding this years competition.
Nothing much has changed.
MUSTO RENEW SPONSORSHIP OF
INTERNATIONAL OPEN SPEY CASTING CHAMPIONSHIP

For the fifth year, Musto – the performance clothing brand – will be sponsoring the Musto International Open Spey Casting Championship at The CLA Game Fair, 23 – 25 July at Blenheim, offering a top prize of £1000 and a magnificent perpetual trophy for the manufacturer of the winning rod.

The final of the event on the Sunday afternoon provides the climax to The CLA Game Fair and attracts an enthusiastic crowd overflowing the grandstand. Once again, the finals will be judged by Michael Evans, who also sets the rules for this, the world’s top event in the Spey casting discipline. The main criteria are a maximum rod length of 18ft and a floating line with a maximum diameter 2.5mm (head length optional). Spey casting technique is also carefully scrutinised.

2003 Champion, Scott Mackenzie, who amazed competitors and spectators alike last year with his winning cast of 51 yards, is expected to defend his title against leading exponents of the art from the USA, Canada and Japan, as well as Europe and all parts of the UK.

Entry forms and copies of the full rules are now available from The CLA Game Fair Office (PO Box 6452, Basingstoke, Hants, RG25 2XQ) or email [email protected]. Alternatively, entry forms can be completed at the Musto Pavilion on the waterside, where the entire range of FPX garments specifically designed for angling will be on display, together with the latest collection for shooting.

The qualifying heats for the final of the Musto International Open Spey Casting Championship will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning over the weekend of 23, 24 and 25 July.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Doc, will the casting be done on moving or

still water? I'd assume a bit of moving water would help load the rods better and tend to increase the casting distances.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred
Not sure I would imagine it is still but if the figures I hear talked about 51 yds will be history still water or not.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You think the 'casters' may have some ..

Willie Gunn said:
Fred
Not sure I would imagine it is still but if the figures I hear talked about 51 yds will be history still water or not.
new toys to amuse the bystanders?
:smokin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
North Island said:
Willie Gunn,
Indulge my Vegas tendecies. In your opinion, who are the contenders?
cheers N I
From Scotland, either Ian Gordon or Scott Mckenzie though I do not think anyone has ever retained the trophy.
From America Steve or Way
I would suggest these are four of the top six for Sunday others might disagree but these boys have stood up there and done it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts