Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Custom Cut Tips" for work with my heavier spey rods. Both are 20' long and looped at both ends. One's a 330 grain head, the other 470 grains.

Package suggests these can be cut back to make lighter heads; what package doesn't suggest is that you could cut back and make '2' heads. The 330 head package suggests it's 'tappered' to some degree; the 470 is silent.

To the point: has anyone cut these back and used 'both ends?'

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not yet Fred, but it's gonna happen.

I use a reloading scale for weighing. I've only got the 200 right now, and don't see signs of taper. With loops at both ends and marketing them as custom cut, it doesn't make sense for there to be taper on any of them. If you can borrow a scale, you'll know when you cut. For the Great Lakes area, you can bet my 200 will be cut and looped, and I'll probably end up with the 330. Please post when you find out.
Carl

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Custom Cut Tips

Fred, The first Custom Cut Tips I got didn't have a taper. I have measured a few and I still don't think they have enough taper to worry about. I cut mine where ever I want from either end and don't think it matters. I do usually make the longest one with the loop marked to reel. I miked the 470 grn tip I sent you and there is virtually no difference from end to end. Maybe "tackleman" or someone else that knows more about Airflo than I will respond.
Take care, MJC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is sounding too cool..

for 'us' looking for heavy tips for the Spring Kings on the Rogue!!!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what's the material,,,i have some single hander,,,I E about useless to me now lines,,,is it `legal' leadcore, or what,wetcell???

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammer the package says:...

"unsurpassed sink rates, patented polyuethane technoloyy, tungsten impregnated,non toxic and can be used in freash or salt water.

Byond that ... even the 'web' was silent on the product.
:(

·
Registered
267 Posts
The "Custom Cut Tips" are level - no taper - designed with the idea that you will cut them for length and/or the specific grains that you want to use. As stated, they use tungsten to get the density. You can use the built-in loops to attach to your line, or add your own loops if you have a section left after cutting. Use an Albright knot to attach tippet to the cut end.
I've been working on my 'Skagit' style fishing/casting - making my lines with cut-back Delta's and sections of the CCT's. Most recently I've been using a shortish 7wt. rod with 6' of the 470 (140 grains) on a cut-back 6/7 Delta. It allows me to get the fly down into small pockets in the middle of fast runs that I couldn't fish effectively before. Getting pretty close to "gear" fishing, but it's with a fly and it's FUN!
Gotta thank this board and its members for all the discussions that have helped me along with this.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Tackleman...

Thank you for posting. As usual your input is much appreciated. I still can't figure out why the bother to put the "reel end" tag on there.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Howdy Tackleman...

MJC said:
Thank you for posting. As usual your input is much appreciated. I still can't figure out why the bother to put the "reel end" tag on there.
And that's exactly why I started the thread.:smokin: Both the 330 and the 470 appear (not miked) to be level runs ... but over 20' who really knows.
:>)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
With great respect for every member of this board,

why do fisherman speak of sink tip weight and omit sink rate?

For example, in January 2003 Rio's "new" 300 grain tips sank @ 7.3 feet per second, while those manufactured earlier sank at 5.75 feet per second. [Data from www.rioproducts.com catalog Jan 12, 2004.]

Every Rio multi-tip Spey line has a floating tip, intermediate sink tip, type 3 sink tip, type 6 sink and type 8 sink tip. Every tip weighs approx. the same number of grains, but each tip fishes differently.

What's wrong with you guys? It can't be me.

Bob

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Bob...

Good point:

Airflo Custom Cut Tips:

20'-200 grn. 7.5 ins/sec

20'-330 grn. 9.5 ins/sec

20'-470 grn. 11.5 ins/sec

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fred
Re your referance to Springs - I used the 7.5 & 9.5ips custom tips on the Dean with good effect for Chinook in June 03! Much more pleasant than LC-13!!!! The river was pretty low so I never got to try the 11.5ips tips - for those that do not know, these tips are on a 40lb nylon core
speydoc

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Doc!

The Corp. of Eng. usually keeps the water flow up in the 2500-3000 cfs range out of Warm Spings dam to keep the water cold and pull the fish up as quickly as possible. The springers are very subject to a viral (sp?) problem endemic in the Rogue.

When the waters 'cold' very little problem for the fish .. warms up (as an example, last year at the Charity Clinic in late March we hit 80 degrees + on both Saturday and Sunday) the problem can become a HUGE problem for the fish.

So, back to the why of needing heavy, fast sinking (and stay there) tips off of fly rods. Not using these and you're in/out/off the bottom far too quickly to make fishing worth while ... other than a lot of casting practice.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Tackleman How

does that combination cast? The Delta 6/7 should be a little over 10 grains per foot and the tip more than double at 23 grains per foot. Current wisdom is that tips should have the same number of grains per foot , or a little less, than the floating line. This theory says that this combination has got to hinge - badly! But then, I thought a section of 30# Maxima between the line and a polyleader would give Fred problems. What is wrong, the theory or the aplication? I know Ed Ward has hinging with 9 feet of T14 attached to a Skagit head which is 13 or 14 weight. I saw him casting at the sandy Clave and could see the hinging. I guess you have to do what is necessary to get down in some conditions. :confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ted, spent about a half hour yesterday at

Denmon Bar (met Jim Jones there ... damn it must be good to be retired!!)

Had the full 330 grain tip on the end of a cut back (above hinge) 10-11 RIO aclrtr. In all fairness I was in slacks, business tie, etc., so just casting off the beach.

Due to the length of the head/weight (10wt Scott ARC rod) it was a crummy combo. Had to leave very little of the 'driver line' out side the tip top to get the head up/out of the water and 'fling,' not cast, same.

Part of the issue was standing on the beach; doing a Perry Poke is close to impossible. Ditto the Snap t. This weekend ("a pass" one morning from The Redhead?) I'll try it from the water and also off the end of a cut back WC 10-11-12 I use for RIO big boys up to 300 grains without problem (91540 Sage).

Jim also had on a short T-14 head at the end of his 7-8 (?) GrandSpey and it was laying out like it was fired from a cannon. Doubt the loop unfolding over the water was 3-4 foot apart from line to head as it unrolled. Beautiful tight loops.

Testing will continue!:devil: :smokin:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fred

Did you mean a 9150-4?

A GS 7/8 would have somewhere between 11.25 and 12 grains per foot. That should do allright with a short T14 tip. I am not sure it would do well with a longer one.

I still do not see how hanging a polyleader off the front of a floating line can do as well as it appears to for you? What am I missing in the physics?:confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ted, roger on the 9150-4; also use the

14' version of this rod for light (type 6-8) tips off a cut back WC 10-11-12. The cut point on this line is quite different than the one used on the 15' sage 9wt.

The 'key' to using sinking poly leaders is the run of mon from the floating tip (3-4 foot) and the poly leader is it has to be very high poundage (e.g. at least 30# or better; use maxima here most of the time) to get the 'stiffness' you need.

Why it works so well (for me) is the 'leader section' sinks with the tip and the dry line stays on the surface. If you have a direct connection between the two the 'sinking tip' will pull the dry line under, and the dry line is trying to float the 'sink tip.' Both of which are the exact opposite of what your trying to accomplish.
Fred

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Fred,

Are you throwing a 10/11 Accelerator on your ARC 1510-4? Have you tried throwing a lighter line on it? The 1510 has always seemed more a nine than a ten to me. I prefer lining mine with an 8/9 Midspey but it likes the 8/9 Accelerator as well.

I have loaned it to a friend for the winter/spring and also gave him a 9/10 XLT cutback for tips. This combination is light in close and seems a wee bit heavy once you get a good amount of belly out but loads it nicely from 45' to 70'.

tip

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fred invented the Compensator

Hey Fred,
Your method of placing 30# Maxima between floating line and sinking leader to get best sinking performance predates the introduction of Rio's Compensator tip2, which does the same thing, although with a more is better approach.

Did you give Rio the idea? Royalties?

You da man!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn! I could have gotten money???

Naaa, Simon was far too kind and sent me the line to see how it would work 'fooling around' with heavy tips. I think it should work; I just haven't hit the 'how.' The 'grains' are/should be there .. just haven't figured out how to make it work.

SIMON!!! HELP!!!
Fred

1 - 20 of 27 Posts