Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

So ive decided to move to BC, and im looking for the ideal location for year round fishing. Idealy with in an hours drive. anyone have any suggestions?

I might add my number one target would be steelhead!!! :chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Moving to BC

The cost of housing would probably determine which rivers you want to fish as Vancouver is within an hour drive to a few rivers with in the lower mainland but it is also the most expensive to live. Chilliwack is probably the most affordable and the river has the largest run of steelheads.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Pretty simple. Terrace. Just look at a map and look where a lot of guide outfits are based out of...

Nuff said.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i would say come out in the winter and rent a place. go see all the local rivers. as stated above this is not the cheapest place to live. it would really depend if you are a city guy or not. if you don't like people, i would for sure head up north. but again i would rent for a season before committing to buying a place.

my 2 cents

good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Smithers. Gorgeous little alpine town with everything you need from an outdoor adventures perspective as well as amenities. You're on the Bulkley and not far from the Morice, Copper, Kalum and Skeena. Truly a steelheaders paradise.

·
Registered
688 Posts
While BC has wild steelhead, guess where all the guys go in the fall to go steelheading, they all go up north to the skeena. So buying a place in the lowermainland is a waste of money. Head to the skeena, if you want to fish for winter runs then get closer to the coast ie Terrace if you dont want to chase winter runs and summers are more your style than stay around Smithers, Houston Hazelton.

Right now the north is going through a speculation boom because of the oil and gas industry and pipeline building boom. Any place near one of the proposed coastal terminals has seen house prices double in the last couple of years. Everyone has dollar signs in their greedy little eyes..yet ten years ago you couldnt give your house away.. so be careful of where you pick. Places like Smithers house prices doubled about 4-5 years ago, just because its a nice place, yet 60 km down the road in Houston the housing market is flat..same house in Smithers will cost 300k where in Houston it will be 125k....and pushing 400k in Terrace...if you want to fish in the desert and dont care if you catch a fish or not that 125 k house in Houston will cost you 80k in Spences Bridge...nice and warm in the summer and you can grow all the dope you can handle, oh wait thats what everybody is already doing there...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have lived in most of the province and my thoughts are as follows best fishing is hands down Terrace area. Housing prices are inflated though and a guy could stand to lose quite a bit of money on a purchase (sadly I am on of those guys). Hazelton still should have reasonable housing prices and puts you in the middle of it all but it is a small town and I would check it out to see if it fits your needs. Smithers is nice but there is a considerable fishing off season and Terrace is 2 hrs away.

Chilliwack or Sqaumish would be other options but both are pricey and the rivers are crowded. Chilliwack also has major air quality issues.

Merritt, Kamloops or Spences only have steelheading a couple months a year, great stillwater though.

I have never lived on Vancouver Island and that could be a option but I understand the runs are depressed there.

Have fun planning your relocation and feel free to message me if you have any other questions

·
Registered
405 Posts
Moving to BC is all fine and dandy but are you independently wealthy? I would first find out what kind of work is available to me, then make decisions from there. Lots of work in the south (lower mainland area). Not so much in the north. Don't get me wrong, chasing steelhead is a passion, but unfortunately, its an expensive one. Lots of pros and cons for each place.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Moving to bc doesn't need to be a huge investment. One can get a place for a good deal, at least here on the island and I can't see it being more expensive up north. Here most places around me are going for 4-500,000 and that seems to be the norm lately. If one was selling a 1/2 decent property it would be well within reach. As for work, in my trade we can't find enough workers and only hope the oil sands slow down so we can get some workers back. All the best with your move, good times ahead.... that's for sure

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually there is a tonne of work up here right now, at least in the Northwest where I live. And in the north east.

Maybe not so much in Atlin if that is what you mean.
Sorry. I should have said more variety of work in the south. I guess it really depends on what kind of work and experience you have. More resource work in the north, more office jobs in the south.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hey guys,

So ive decided to move to BC, and im looking for the ideal location for year round fishing. Idealy with in an hours drive. anyone have any suggestions?

I might add my number one target would be steelhead!!! :chuckle::chuckle:
I retired from Ontario 6 years ago and have not regretted a single second. I moved to Vancouver Island to Campbell River and have enjoyed almost 12 months each year of fly fishing for one species or another. Yes the Steelhead fishing isn't what it was but there are still summer and winter runs on some beautiful rivers. There is also some amazing Coho and Pinks Salmon available on the beaches and rivers which are so much fun on the fly. We also have sea run Cutthroat fishing year round on a 5 wt. are a blast. The house prices you can check out on line I don't know about the employment situation obviously. The Skeena area is definitely the best IMO for Steelhead but it is not that far, a crew of us go up for a week every year. We have a fly fishing club just to let you know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As a retiree living on the Skeena river in Terrace for the last 3 years, let me recommend....... the Island. :devil:

Right now there is plenty of work but housing is an issue as the rentals have tripled in the last 24 months. Home prices are off the charts compared to a few years ago. Plenty of fish and lots of fisherman, leave all expectations of solitude in NB.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As a retiree living on the Skeena river in Terrace for the last 3 years, let me recommend....... the Island. :devil:

Right now there is plenty of work but housing is an issue as the rentals have tripled in the last 24 months. Home prices are off the charts compared to a few years ago. Plenty of fish and lots of fisherman, leave all expectations of solitude in NB.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
96 Posts
on the news tonight, Housing prices in the BC northwest are up 33% from 2014 to 2015. Should have purchased a couple of years ago to make some money

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
This boom will end soon when it become obvious that LNG was and is only C. Clark dream-pipe/election ploy.

After Japan Nuclear Reactor Disaster price for NG in Asia went throughout the roof.

Since then, they are down significantly to the point that by mid-Summer of 2014 it did not make any financial sense to build any LNG plants and pipelines in BC form scratch, even with zero tax.

Australia is even postponing few of its 7 huge plants due to lack of demad and low prices. They are near completion and cost of shipment is much lower then form BC. US will have few within 12-18 months and infrastructure is already ready in Luisiana. Qatar and some african nations are ready too. Russia got big deal with China and more to come are they need hard currency and income.

Also Japan is restarting 2 of its idled nuclear reactor what will drive pries even further. Note that some of these articles ( the second one has nice analysis) were written few months ago before oil and NG went down even further.

Another Problem is that Petronas capitol spending has shrank significantly due to low oil prices and fulfill Patronas original goal of future LNG capacity BC account for only very small fraction of that goal.

Why build in BC from scratch if other places like Australia, Qatar or US are ready to deliver NG at much lower cost. For forceable future there will be huge glut of NG/LNG on world markets.

Why Apache terminates its partnership with Chevron for Kitimat plant, why Petronas is dragging its feet ?

The answer is simple, to not blow C. Clark dream-pipe immediately, so she still can enjoy her election ploy and dream about reaches of NG in BC.......:Eyecrazy::chuckle:

One thing First Nation is watching is if under guise of LNG pipeline to Kitimat, they do not put pipe which is also suitable for oil. As we know Saudi-Alberta organized crime syndicate with his boss S. Harper will do anything to please his corporate puppet masters.......

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/asia-lng-idUSL3N0TV2JZ20141211

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Lamphier+prospects+still+doubt+despite/10315915/story.html#__federated=1

“The biggest risks to the projects still come from the obvious sources: initial construction costs and the eventual selling price of the LNG. With LNG price risks skewed to the downside, however, the economics of such projects still look questionable.”

What’s more, few producers have been able to complete new multibillion-dollar LNG plants on schedule and on budget, FirstEnergy notes. Over the past decade, almost every new LNG plant in the world has exceeded cost estimates by between 10 per cent and 40 per cent.

Even so, LNG pricing remains an even bigger threat to the viability of B.C.’s projects, FirstEnergy adds.

“If you use our current crude oil price forecast of around $100 US per barrel for Brent, then the approximate oil-linked price (for LNG) into Japan is around $15 per MMBtu (million British thermal units). Drop the Brent price to $90 per barrel for the next several years and the Japan-landed price for oil-linked LNG falls to about $13. This is barely enough to cover the riskier higher-cost case for a B.C. LNG terminal.”

·
Registered
402 Posts
If nothing is going to happen someone needs to tell all these people investing millions of dollars in town as I type this to build labour camps and hotels. Also someone should have told Woodside before they spent billions of dollars to recently buy Apaches share in Kitimat LNG.

I agree everything is still very much up in the air, but do not assume the battle to save the Skeena estuary and stop NGP is over. There is way too much going on up here still, and one would assume the people investing this kind of money know more than regular folks like us.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
If (???) some day it will go through the only people who can save Skeena Estuary are Fist Nation. It is C. Clark and her corporate cohorts who suggested location for Petronas. If Petronas want to drop a total of 30 billions for infrastructure and plant, a few hundred more millions to relocate plant as little as 15-20 km is a drop in a bucket.

In the end a number of acceptable locations has been proposed so why this one ?

First Nations Oppose Petronas LNG Plant: Lack of Consultation “Shocking”

https://skeenawild.org/news/first-nations-oppose-petronas-lng-plant-lack-of-consultation-shocking/

October 9th, 2014, Terrace BC

The Prince Rupert Port Authority courted Petronas to place one of the largest LNG projects in the world directly over top of some of the most sensitive and important salmon habitat in Canada. Widespread concerns from local communities, First Nations, academics and conservation groups means the Port Authority may have set-up Petronas to fail the social license test.

“It is hard to understand why the Prince Rupert Port Authority asked Petronas to site their facility there” said Greg Knox, “they were told by the Department of Fisheries & Oceans back in 1972 that port development on Lelu Island was a bad idea, and to find another site”.

Stalling of the environmental assessment process, and recent changes by Petronas to reduce the amount of dredging, highlight the severity of potential impacts.

https://skeenawild.org/news/prince-rupert-port-authority-puts-11-billion-lng-project-at-risk/

http://www.bucksuzuki.org/current-projects/energy-campaigns/about-enbridge1/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts