Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping you guys could provide me with a little advice. I'm about to move from Denver to Seattle. From the land of tailwater trout to the land of ocean run steel. I've started my research on the PNW (I've been steelheading in BC but not WA/OR) and the one thing I can't find much information about is access.

I have a 14ft AIRE raft with aluminum fishing frame in Colorado for the local rivers. Is this something that I should bring to Washington with me for trout and steelhead fishing? Or should I sell it and buy something smaller that will just get me from run A to B?

Thanks guys!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Why not take it and see for yourself if it's something you can use on PNW rivers. I personally think you could use that here for the rest of your life. The waters here can get pretty big, so I wouldn't opt for anything smaller until you put that AIRE to the test.

BUT, if it's not something you think you can use, then sell it here.

There are plenty of rivers on which you can use a craft like that!

Now, get out here and get to fishing!!

good luck

Bob

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Bring it! I regret selling my 14' NRS Self Bailer as it was great for a number of rivers. Of course I replaced it with a 10' pontoon and a 16' aluminum drift boat so I'm not without options. Your raft will be right at home here on the S rivers and the OP and when you get the trout urge, take it over to the Yakima or down to the Deschutes in Oregon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep it. That will cover 90% of what you need to do...maybe even 100% if dedicated to fly fishing.

Hope you aren't moving to Seattle from CO just for steelhead fishing opportunities...you'll be greatly disappointed at the current state of affairs, particularly in regards to the Puget Sound area.

One thing to add...WA law differs from CO in that landowners DO NOT own the river bed (except in a few very select cases). The access is from high water mark down in most cases.

·
Registered
171 Posts
your raft pretty much looks exactly like the rafts the guides use on the Hoh, Queets, Quinault etc. ( or they use clackacraft drift boats etc)

based on my limited experience of Peninsula put ins & take outs, i think you'll need a powerful (V8?) 4x4 and a flat bed as opposed to v style trailer - no nice concrete or even flat put ins & take outs there that i saw. most were 40 degrees plus and either mud or loose gravel.

cheers

GB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys - thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Sounds like i'm bringing the boat!!

I'll be happy to row a few of you around when I move up there. Sounds like lots of great floating opportunities.

I'm moving for work... Although while the trout fishing in Colorado is fun, i'm up for a new challenge.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I can't answer your question but I'd certainly never leave CO for Oregon. No offense to Oregon at all, but Colorados tough to beat. I wish I was still in Telluride and not Michigan. Safe travels and all the best.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I made the same move in 2012, when are you moving?

As for the boat, a 13 footer is a little more popular out here, but a I wouldn't hesitate to take a 14 down any of the water I usually fish. Just need a few more beers to soften up the shoulders at the end of the day.

Cool picture by the way, below Green Mountain?

Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark - You nailed it.... Impressive!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to move the first week of June. Still trying to figure out neighborhoods but i'll be commuting to Tukwila by car. Thinking West Seattle.

How have you enjoyed the move?

Sounds like the ramps are not friendly for heavy boats. I have aluminum floors etc in this one, so its not light. Although I can't imagine any put in is worse than Green Mountain or the take out for that matter (not sure if you have seen the new take out down there, about a 250 yard pull up a steady grade).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't answer your question but I'd certainly never leave CO for Oregon. No offense to Oregon at all, but Colorados tough to beat. I wish I was still in Telluride and not Michigan. Safe travels and all the best.
What! and give up all the great Michigan fishing? And all those great lake effect snow storms. I guess you have to be raised here to appreciate it. :chuckle:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Abarbs,

When you get out here, give me a PM and we can meet for lunch one day and I will tell you about some local and not so local options. I work in Burien so Tukwila is right around the corner.

Sinktip

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You pick your river with one of those.

Some rivers are big, like realllllly big, there I'm a mental coin flip. Most you'll find the raft is a perfect tool. :smokin:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jealous. I moved from Oregon to CO for family issues. Oregon blows colorado out of the water a million times over. Take me with you!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 14' Aire raft is perfect for the Grand Ronde. If you get over to Idaho (where it was manufactured), The Salmon and the Clearwater are just waitingto say welcome home.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
Sounds like the ramps are not friendly for heavy boats. I have aluminum floors etc in this one, so its not light. Although I can't imagine any put in is worse than Green Mountain
he he hee.... youre not using your imagination enough ! though plenty are easier, plenty are worse. i strip down my frame for steelheading. rowing seat, cooler up front and oarlocks. who needs all that excess junk when youre swinging ? the boober and bead from the boat crowd, maybe...
congrats, colorado water laws suck big hairy sasquatch toes :razz: i hear the misty has turned into a total fustercluck these days. i moved north to escape that scene. best decision i ever made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts