Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the forum says Hooks, Feathers, and Floss but, here is some Hair. I got the hook part right.

This is a simple mouse pattern that was brought to me from Alaska many years ago. I have no idea how many of these I have tied for customers going to Alaska and for night fishing for brown trout. My guess is close to half a deer hide or more. This bunch ate up about 20 square inches of deer hide. Most of the hair itself ended up in the trash.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Nice pets! I bring my tying outside when im using hide... that stuff is nasty!

This is going to be my first year mousing in MI and im super psyched about it :D

What lines do you use to toss these? I just cut up my 7wt Ambush to 18' + 5' Airflo Salmon floating polyleader. Single hand skagit sorta speak... works great!

Do you strongly believe those stingers give you better hook ups? Im new to this whose mousing thing please educate me :D

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mouse

What lines do you use to toss these? I just cut up my 7wt Ambush to 18' + 5' Airflo Salmon floating polyleader. Single hand skagit sorta speak... works great!

I use an 8' 6 weight rod with an 8 weight Rio nymph taper line. You are not casting very far and the heavy line will move deer hair around very well. Same setup for bass fishing

Do you strongly believe those stingers give you better hook ups? Im new to this whose mousing thing please educate me

The short shank hook does not get dislodged so easy as a long shank hook. Hemostats don't ruin the fly when removing the hook either.

Out of curiosity - What thread do you use for stacking and spinning?

These are tied with 100 denier gel spun.

chartreuse...

In 2005 I tied 8 dozen of these in four colors, Chartreuse, pink, black, and natural. I also tied 8 dozen pollywogs in the same colors. These were for the same gentleman and his friends.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Gel spun: Thanks. Kevlar thread is what I have now - for this and SPLICES and among other uses...

One old spool that I don't know what gauge. Strong enough that it will cut through, though.

Fish tear-up hair bugs easily. I can imagine a stinger hook will preserve a lot of your work also...

Again - Good looking mice.

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gel spun: Thanks. Kevlar thread is what I have now - for this and SPLICES and among other uses...

One old spool that I don't know what gauge. Strong enough that it will cut through, though.

Fish tear-up hair bugs easily. I can imagine a stinger hook will preserve a lot of your work also...

Again - Good looking mice.
Thanks.

I like the gel spun for deer hair much better than kevlar. The gel spun is slick and will slide over the bunch of deer hair without much resistance. The kevlar thread I have is somewhat rough and cuts the hair when pulling it tight over the deer hair bundle.

The bass bugs I have tied like this do seem to last a little longer. However, all bets are off with pike and muskie.

You might give 50 denier gel spun a try for splices. Strong and very thin.

Jerry

·
flyfishingrussiadotcom
29 Posts
I am mostly using a different way of mouse tying - I don't trim the tips of the deer hair on the back of a fly. The imitation looks more natural, and the fish like it. The length of an average mouse body is about 3". My biggest catch with a mouse - 50 pounds of Siberian taimen in one piece. Little ones (about 40" long) love smaller "mice".

Attachments

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
I like all those little mice but I'm lazy I'll go with magadan's pattern
BJay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts