Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

this is a fly i tied for a project on a other forum tied flies based on the pink floyd album the wall.

My song was "Mother" I watched the movie a few times during this fly and listen to the album more times to count.

I chose the colours white, blue, and black to represent innocence of the child and the chaos and corruption the mother brings on. the fly starts off with light colours and neat tying. this is the start, when he is still a young child as the movie goes on and he grows up more chaos come to be. this is where i start to use darker colours. near the end i wanted bushy, chaos, disorder in the fly. this is where in the movie he goes nuts haha. I chose to use this wing feather ( gifted to me by a member here) because i thought it represented the mother so well. its seem black at first, but in the light there is blues in it. to me this showed the characteristic of the mother in the movie. the blue represents the good a mother suppose to be but the black shows her weighing down on the son. " Mamma's gonna keep you right here, under her wing she wont let you fly, but she might let you sing"

i used the peacock swords int the front like that for two reasons. one was to show more chaos and the other and the real reason haha was to fill a gap that was in the front of the fly. this is my first fly using coverts and i striped 2 fibers to many.. but in the end i really like the front little toof haha.

the only died feathers in the fly are the 4 strands of blue turkey in the tail. i used 4 different types of cotinga in the fly, the tail is Amabalis, the first body is cayana, the second is cotinga, and the sides are cayana cotinga and mayana. went a little crazy with the cotinga on this haha,,,, over all im pretty happy with how this came out. there was no real planning just general ideas of what i wanted. it almost took a left turn when it came to the wing. im happy it didnt and i stuck with the full wing. the cotinga was hard to tie with and could be tied better, there few things id like to do better on the fly. like the main wing,

covert wings scare the hell out of me. still do but will do one more soon i really like the way they look.
sorry for bad pictures
all comments and critiques greatly welcomed

hope all is well

Kevin

Attachments

·
Banned
894 Posts
Hot dammed Kevin, amazing work man. Love the story of the crazy chaotic mother the most though 😂

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
Holy Crap Kevin!!
That fly is amazing!
I cannot even fathom the amount of work in the body alone.
Awesome!
James

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
WOW OUT STANDING WORKMANSHIP!!!! On of my favorite songs and you nailed out of the park!!!!. The body work is something else, well done!!

·
Pisces Jedi apprentice
27 Posts
Well done Man

Incredible job!
I love that movie, very nostalgic from my high school years(experimental😆years) growing up in the maritimes.
And honestly I merely felt I will share how impressed I am with the ability for an artist in taking ideas, and epiphanies gathered through music to translate it through feathers and floss on a hook. That's talent Bro!
And your workmanship to boot.. kudos!! Very nice

You fellas, sharing your "traditiona" patterns and craftsmanship have really begun to open up my eyes to the beautiful "salmon/dee/traditional" irons when they have been completed... I for one am still working on thinning out my intruders.. Too bulky lol.. But to witness the abilities of some of you out here.. Are really rather... Inspirational.. And even help self appreciate the ole flies my grandfather and father tied for the miramichi, and the restigouche rivers..

Thank you for sharing.. That fly is Beautiful!!

Jonny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts