Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel the `single spey' is `it',i've done more with this cast ,even defying all proper `strokes' recomended in the books and coming up with my own `deathdefying' casts :hihi: anyone else `bastardized' a cast and made it work in spite of `what's proper' :chuckle: ,,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
waiting for rain=fish!

geared up to guide anybody,bait, fly,anybody,looked great until mid january then i decided i'd best wait for rain,been waiting since then :confused: ,,downriver lay the chrome ,,,midriver=mighty slow! :mad:,,but it's raining now!,and it should be a wild show!,,,last time we had a drought and they stalled out down in the rogue canyon then ran upriver you'd hook 6-10 fish in every bend of the river for about three weeks,then it was all downrunners,better pm me if you want,and i'll let you know when they get upriver in great #'s,i told you i'd float you for fun,we are planning a floatilla on the local board ;) ,been two-handing it and taking advantage of the low water to poke around,it's about to erupt! :smokin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
6 months ago I probably would have said the double spey but recently the C spey and reverse C spey have become my goto cast in difficult situations. I also love them for getting a sink tip out of the water and into casting position. I recently started fishing one of the Rio Skagit lines and love it with the C spey.

One of my favorite runs has some overhanging limbs and I find I can make a C spey while keeping the rod lower tahn on my double.

I do have to admit that if I'm on river right and the wind is downstream or gentle enough not to care I usually do find myself working my down the run with a double spey if there is a lot of room.

Gillie

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will say this!

i definately could use some polish on my `river left tactics' :roll: i'm a `righty',,got into a situation last week where no big winter fish were showing where i was fishing and yet downriver a bit ;smolts or maybe cutthroat trout WERE feeding on top,,in spite of my huge wet tip being the only setup availlable with me i aproached the situation with intense interest :hihi: ,,always one for a challenge! :lildevl: ,so i tied on a 4 pound tippet and the smallest fly in the box=of course i cast so hard i either popped off the fly or it all crashed in a heap :eek: ,and lo and behold,the rises ceased :confused: hahahaha!!!,can't imagine why!!! :tsk_tsk: ,,hmmm,NEW THREAD!,bestest cast from the `bad side' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now i remember!,when i posted this thread

i was doing some weird casts after coming back to the two-handers after a layoff period,anchoring down below me and driving it out there like i shouldn't have been able to;making a `change of direction' that was exceptionally extreme and getting away with it!!,`single spey' can mean a lot of different casts,,to me! ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Casting

I know I am going to start a war hear with this remark but I just cant help myself... :D I would have to say that the skagit double would be my go to cast followed by the snap T. OK boys let me have it!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Snap T/C for an all around cast off either shoulder can do it all - for tips it is hard to beat and works well for floating lines also. Snake roll off either shoulder could be a close second

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.