Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through the marabou, intruder and weighted fly patterns which I find not enjoyable to tie or cast. I realize these are the general go to winter patterns here in the PNW. I also know lots of the guys who frequent this forum, the long line and Scandi casters are fishing more "spey" type patterns I am interested in their opinions on the most productive winter patterns and sizes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Nigel. The ones you tie in the Syd Glasso style! Cheap out with schlappen or burnt goose as a hackle for winter if need be. My favourite for fishing,tying and appearance. So many colour pallets to choose. Besides, you are already a master at these by the offerings you display here.
Ryan

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Kind of depends on the river.

"One man's meat is another man's ..."

For the upper Rogue, for me, small and dark the vast majority of the time. On the Chetco it was big and 'gaudy.'

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
As far as classics I always have Lady Carolines in the box with maybe some Dunts as well. I will tie these according to the recipe at 1.5 or 2.0 but the Ladys fish well tied smaller and I will use them on the Trinity.

KC

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
Several years ago I made the decision to primarily fish flies that made me smile, that being Speys and a few Dees. I still will throw a muddler for summer fish but almost everything in my winter boxes is a Spey or a Dee. No shanks or lead eyes to be found. There are a few more classic Salmon styles here and there though.

The Speys are more in the Glasso style as I prefer the hackle wing for movement. More often than not it is a GP feather wing ala Kinney's Dragon's Tooth. Lately I have been on a Snow Fly kick, thanks Mike :chuckle:, and have been fishing a lot of herl wings.

God forbid I was ever forced to limit myself to two flies then it would be the following.

Hotep Spey

Butt: small oval gold or fine copper wire
Tail: small bunch red GP fibers
Body: 1/2 purple floss, 1/2 purple seal or substitute
Tinsel: medium flat silver counter-wrapped with small oval gold or copper wire
Hackle: one feather each purple Spey (I use Whiting Spey) and black Spey from second turn of tinsel
Collar: gadwall
Wings: red GP feathers tented

Volcano Spey

Same as Hotep except
Body: 1/2 yellow floss, 1/2 orange seal or substitute
Tail: none
Hackle: 1-2 Orange Whiting Spey feathers
Collar: Teal

If I'm feeling fancy, I will include eyes of JC to the Volcano.

If I could choose a third pattern, it would be a black one similar to the Carron. If a fourth was allowed, the Lady Caroline. if a fifth .... :devil:

Attachments

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
are you looking for something on a classic iron, or a spey fly thats not an intruder but still tied on scandi tube style thingies?

No matter what it is, I say the most productive patterns are simply the ones you decide to get wet. Choose the right size and you are golden.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.