Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This board is getting way to Serious.
What is you most embarrassing with a Speyrod?
I have had many but two over that last few months are rather hilarious.

The first one was while test working with at student to line his new WYZ13 ft. Speyrod.
I had not cast this model before and was quite interested in trying one.
The student had gotten the rod for gift from his girlfriend and was quite proud of it.
We started working up line and notice the student struggling to get the lower hand to deliver power.
So give it a try and the first cast felt like the rod had a butt was regressed beyond recognition.
The second cast if felt the heart go into my mouth as the bottom grip sheared off at the lower end of the reel seat.
Needless to say is was flaw from the factory and not my powerful lower hand.

The second came just a few weeks ago.
A Client came out to have a cast with new line combination for one of his favorite rods.
I watch him cast noted at the long distance he was getting.
I opted to try and started at the same amount of line out that he had finished with.
Working with my way though the running line and each cast ending quite strong I kept going.
I stripped the last running line off the reel and lay the backing knot on the water.
I set up for long cast and took it, it was a shoot made in heaven everything was right.

Running line zinged out of the water and the backing knot caught guide and way went the entire line.
The bitter end was way out of reach I stood there with my mouth open as the line went down stream.

Luckily a gear guy snagged the whole thing for use and a couple of nail knot later we were in business.

We all have our day but if you take it with a sense of humor it will be okay

:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Two also come to mind.

Few years back, fishing (spring kings) at MacGregor park on the upper Rogue. Using (one of the few times) a 15' 10/11 rod with feather bricks. Stripped off line, couple of fauls casts to get the head out in the water ... strip off some more running line.

Big circle cast topped off with a Perry Poke ..... line shot out like a cannon ball ... and the fly whacks a guy on the other side of the river in the chest!:eek: "Jeeessssuuusss C ....! You really can cast that thing a long way!"

Second one was in the same general area, but in the summer. Not paying enough attention and hooked a lady floating by on a rental raft. (The raft, thank God, not the lady.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm still laughing at myself for this one!
I'm out practicing my Double spey and with most of my line out in the dangle position I start my cast. Just then, some weirdo dog jumps into the water next to me, just behind me, chasing a duck and barking. I get all fuddled up and turn around from the surprise scare this gives me. The leader lands behind me and most of the line wraps around my head. The ducks gets hooked on one wing and takes off, the line shoots along with him and rips the fit-over sunglasses of my head into the drink. As I'm doing a "C&R" on the duck I lose my regular glasses in the drink. At least the silver frame was visible so I got them back but I never found the fit-over's!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Mine would have to be the time I was fishing with Austin Clark, he is probably one of the most famous Salmon guides on the Gaspe. My good friend Ann Smith of Quebec Sporting sent me out on the St. John with him to get some publicity photos. Spey fishing was something that was very new to the Gaspe at the time and Austin was very interested. Wanting to impress him, I striped out about 70 or 80 feet of line and proceeded to drive the hook through my waders at about mid thigh level. Austin spent the rest of the day trying to get me to wade in past the hole in my waders.

Charlie.

·
Registered
43 Posts
this one is kinda funny in its own way i'd say. i had a 10' 9' loomis one hander fishing steelhead an hook a nice fish. as im fighting it to shore to beach the fish my rod tip snaps. i didnt do anything wronge to the rod but i did land the fish tho. so as im sitting down on the bank sad an bummed out i hear two guys behind me laughing about my rod snapping. well i thought that as very rude but didnt say a thing to them. so as im rigging up my spare rod i had with me the one guy steps into the water with his spey rod an first case he makes it snaps right in the middle of the rod, he didnt check his sections for tightness. so as im now laughing quietly to my self an thinking, what goes around comes around. so the point i was tring to make when a guy has an embarassing moment on the water never laugh at him as your turn could be next.

·
have flies-will travel
42 Posts
embarrassing moment!!

On the Thompson this Nov. I witnessed a well known steelheader landing a steele across from the hotel run when suddenly his spey rod and reel shot out of his hands and into the cold ,fast water.A fellow just down stream of him standing up the bank ran out into the water(quite deep) and retrieved the rod ,handed it back to the embarrassed owner who continued to play ,land and release a prime Thompson fish ! I could not belive my eyes.:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts