Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Consistency. Getting the line, leader and fly to completely turn over in a consistent fashion regardless of how deep I am wading, what the wind is doing, how much line I am attempting to shoot and what cast I am attempting to blow. I'll amaze myself with 4 or 5 casts in a row that just rock on out and everything works perfectly. Take another step down the run into 6 inches more of water and everything goes to poop. If I could consistently cast as well as my best casts, I'd be somebody. But , alas, I don't!:chuckle:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Dr, Swing on concistency. Sometimes, I get into a groove on one run where I can pretty much forget my casting; on the next one, I'm having trouble right away. But, in my fourth year of spey casting, I'm finally starting to feel like I know what I'm doing...some of the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same as telling a good joke.....................................................timing.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
mmmmmaaaaaaakkkkkkiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg mmmmmmyyyyyyysssssseeeeellllllllllfffff sssssssssssllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww ddddddddooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnn

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Using my left hand for anything other than holding running line, peeing, or picking my nose.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
It's a challenge ...

to just get out there often enough to practice.

And believe me, I really need more practice:eek: .

Mike

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
because in my book casting is pointless without fishing and given the absolute horrid condition of our fishing opportunities i'd say the hardest part of spey casting is finding a piece of water where you feel confident that there is actually a fish.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For me it's consistency in the anchor placement and actually getting things lined up 180. I have a habit of letting the rod unload in front of me, going left to right or right to left, and not front to back. Feeling where to apply the power is my key. "You can't teach feel", or so David Bishop tells me [all the time].

Roballen - You know, I was in Vancouver for 8 months and I thought it was me. I was shocked at the conditions, and I grew up in the GL which is quickly becoming a great place to be a Spey caster/fisherman. It's some rough going out there.

-Chris

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
Using my left hand for anything other than holding running line, peeing, or picking my nose.
Hey man, if you're doing all 3 of those things at the same time you've clearly put some practice time in :D Bet nobody even notices your cast:razz:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Seriously though, I think it's fishing with guys like Doug and Simon. I'm always trying to convince them that the fish are not 150 feet out, more like 80 - as in where I'm casting to - really, that's where the fish are guys:rolleyes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Combining precise timing without overpowering the rod. I have to work every day on "backing off " and letting the rod do the work. It's a fine line for sure.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Speycasting challenge.........

Keeping it simple. Making the basics first nature. Try not to get all caught up in the techno-hype. When practicing, go to the river with just a few, maybe a dozen or so flies, one line and my lanyard and get into a rythym. Try to focus on the likely holding water and spots and aim for those areas. If I'm "on", then it's a pretty good cast. If not, then it kind of collapses 40' in front of me. There are no steelhead but the main run does hold some good sized browns and rainbows and it's open all year and fishable provided it's not iced-in. So, I drive 10 minutes with the idea in mind that I'm gonna catch a good fish. That's number 1 in importance for me. My cast is number 2. I find that if I concentrate on the fish and/or their likely holding spots, then my cast is more relaxed and natural. However, when I concentrate on the cast, then many times it turns into crap.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
822 Posts
I take the question to mean "casting" and not fishing.
It's developing the ability to self diagnose your fault when things aren't going right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
like carl stated above, I too get caught up in practice casting and distance when i should be concentrating on fishing!

casting spey rods is just too much fun.

cb

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
speyCASTING

for me it's like a motorbike ride,sometimes you can't ride fast enough to blow the `snakes' off your back=translation is,,the worries of the daily grind,,i go INTO town to fish for steelhead with a two-hander not a quiet and remote location,,often it's to crowded to fish my favorite spots the way i like,it's all about getting in the groove for me relaxing and letting the juices flow,i have no idea how people cast at tournements i cast farther when i'm in my own little world than i ever will with somebody watching,,or at least if i FEEL i'm being watched i can be certain to cast 25 ft less every cast,so to summarize i would say timing,,but being relaxed and the timing comes easily and enjoyably so i might add,,,maybe that's why i dwink ale when i wadefish:tsk_tsk: :chuckle:,as far as what's the toughest about speyFISHING it would be nearly the same,,finding a spot to relax and enjoy,especially if there's fish there:smokin:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Timing

and application of force to get the anchor placed right and keep tension on the line throughout the cast.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts