Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this great stuff on splicing lines and making loops has got my interest. I've had some pretty good success thus far and am amazed at the strength of the super glue loops/splices. This has led to two questions:

A. So this works when the core is dacron but what do I do if the core is mono? ie T14

B. I've been all over town (Victoria) searching for Flex Zap but no luck. One hobby shop offered to order it for me but I'd have to buy six bottles at $18 bucks each. :( Anyone know any sources on the southern Island or Vancouver where I could order it from? The other glues I've tried worked well but the working time was really short.

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to see this new video Dana has shot!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Answer

A. Same way, you can sleeve it with 30 lbs. braided mono

B. River Run Anglers has Aqua Flex

Talk with Aaron

RIVER RUN ANGLERS
Carnation, WA
(425) 333-4446

[email protected]

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
I use locktite super glue in the gel form, available at canadian tire and much cheaper than flex-zap and just as strong with a better applicater.

·
Registered
76 Posts
new but a shot to help

have you tryed rio large braided loops and (g) size tying thread. here is how i was told to do it slip the loop on then wrap the g tying thread around the line or t-14 till it is completly covered. use a bobbin and g tying thread to snug the wraps then use aqua flex to seal it. it should be a very stiff connection for great turn over.

good luck and screaming drags btrout1013...... ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for the help. I'll be getting my loctite gel tonight.

Brian

a question on the braided mono sleeve. So you do a splice of the T14 to the floating line. Last night I tried striping the coating off the T14 and then splicing it to the floating line. It failed on me. Probably just a poor splice job then. :roll: As long as I know it should work then I'll keep working on it. Maybe with better adhesive I'll have more luck. So for the sleeve, do I just slide the sleeve over the splice and place some whip finishes on each end?

Thanks Dan

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Stampsteelie said:
Brian

a question on the braided mono sleeve. So you do a splice of the T14 to the floating line. Last night I tried striping the coating off the T14 and then splicing it to the floating line. It failed on me. Probably just a poor splice job then. :roll: As long as I know it should work then I'll keep working on it. Maybe with better adhesive I'll have more luck. So for the sleeve, do I just slide the sleeve over the splice and place some whip finishes on each end?

Thanks Dan
There will be film of me splicing T-14 into floating line coming soon on spey pages.

Sleeve; 1 inch above and below the splice.
Then I use Auqa Flex on the sleeve.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
If you have ever seen any pics of the Whitlock way of splicing a leader to a fly line then you can splice a mono core line into a braided core line without having to resort to the sleeve and glue.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Trout vs Steel

Frankly I would not trust the unsleved splice for steelhead on a mono core. None of the saltwater fisherman does either. Pulling the braid tight and coating makes a nice connection that will not lose a fish for you.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
If done properly this is a 100% splice. Personally I have never had one fail on fish from trout to steelies to salwater. I know of more than one guy that uses it successfully for tarpon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts