Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a CND Expert 9-10 rod and a Rio WindCutter 9-10-11 line.

I'd like to experiment with some different wgt lines on this rod but with the cost of Spey lines it's a bit expensive. How well would regular WF fly lines, or steelhead/pike/SW etc. lines work on this rod? Anybody have any used Spey lines that they'd like to sell cheap? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Juro or Aaron knows these rods far better than I ..

so this is my .02 cents only.

Usual problem in trying to use a single hander line with a spey rod is the heads are too short. These lines are designed for a 9-10' rod; and you've got 12-16 feet in hand. They may 'shoot like crazy' but too little head for a regular 'spey cast.'
fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
send a pm to juro

Ask for recommendations on windcutter, midspey and long belly lines.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
What Line for the Expert 1409

If you go to the CND website and look under "What others say" or go to Spey Pages and read the same article under Dana's review on the CND rods.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Gus,

Let me correct myself, in re-reading this thread I see my mistake, the line that Juro recommends on the 9/10 Expert if the Airflo Traditional 8/9 - not the Long Delta as I stated.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Gus -

Thanks for buying the CND Expert 1409, I personally love to cast and fish that rod myself.

You can save money by buying a floating spey line and looping your own tips. I assume you are talking about the lines with tips when you say expensive, whereby the spey floating lines are not much more than a standard fly line. Depending on the line you buy, you cut the front of the head back <n> feet and add a loop. Then you cut a shooting head or buy some sinktip material from Rio or Airflo and loop that as an alternative sinktip. Much cheaper although it sure is easy just to buy the kit from Rio.

As far as which line, there are really two camps as Simon Gawesworth notes on his line ratings and Dana alludes to in his many articles - those who like a deeper load in the rod with less work (grainier line) and those who like to work more line and use the power in the stroke to load the rod (less grainy).

Many at the Sandy Clave in OR were very impressed with that rod when matched with the traditional 8/9 as mentioned by Kush. I've had a number of lines on it but for my casting style and preferences I would have to say that the Airflo Traditional 8/9 which is 725 grains over 80-85 feet of head - gives the long belly feel while matching up very nicely for that rod and is my favorite for dry line work on that rod. As Rajeff suggests, I cut the first few feet off for a more positive turn-over since I don't need a finesse tip on the line.

When fishing sinktips however, the Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 is rated at 650 grains by Rio and so that gives you some room for more grains once you put sintips on it while staying within the rod's ideal grain range. I will double check to make sure this is the line I was using recently with sinktips, in any case it fished well provided you stripped the running line to the back of the head before casting.

The Midspey, which has got to be the most versatile of all spey lines, also casts well on this rod (no surprise) but the ratings run a little under so the 8/9 Midspey for lighter touch and 9/10 for deep loading is the way to go. The 9/10 is rated by Rio at 725 grains, the same as the traditional, which works well with this rod.

Was there something you disliked about the Windcutter 9/10/11 on that rod that is the reason for this question?

·
Registered
235 Posts
answer...

Oversize a RIO steelhead/salmon taper by 2-3 sizes depending on rod and you will have the head length of a midspey with the avalibility of a line that can be used with tips by cutting of the first 15'-25' depending on the length of the head. The Midspey tapers like a ladder and was made in that way, but the Salmon/Steelhead does not and allows you to use heads easier. The taper is alot less expensive and if you need more running line try RIO's Quickshooter running line for $10 that can be cut to length and put behind the head if needed. This method is a hell of alot cheaper and works rather effectivly for spey casting. Right now that RIO Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead taper is what I use on my 12'4" 8wt Loop Blue for overhand and spey casting shorter distances.

Head/Belly Length

RIO Midspey: 65'
RIO Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead: 66'

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts