Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two dressings, ok three but one is just there for perspective, using a red coque feather Failtospey sent me to try. One side stripped. My only complaint is even stripping one side, it ties a very full fly.

First is a somewhat Lady Caroline inspired pattern where I chose to go with brushed cinnamon turkey wing over an underwing of red GP crest.

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next is a large stream of consciousness tied pattern on a size 1 Blue Heron hook. I had an inch of usable feather left so just started exploring. I had in mind a big pattern for winter or spring marginal visability water. Botched the floss head a bit but it was an afterthought anyways.

The size 4 Purp Muddler was just thrown in for size comparison.

(Sorry about the orientation)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just a thought...For a sparse fly, stripping one side of the hackle is only part of the trick. Fewer turns of hackle is also in order. I think that's one reason why the old Spey patterns called for only "three or four turns, widely spaced."

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aldo,

Yep. The top fly has five turns of tinsel and the feather tucked in back of the tinsel starting at the second turn. I agree though, fewer turns would be better.

'tip

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Nice tying Duggan !!
Aldo hit the nail on the head by using fewer turns . I reserve those heavy density coque feathers for long irons and then limiting the turns to 3 or 4 . I use very wide rib spacing and then follow with the hackle . When I do this , I counter-rib with an X-Fine wire to re-enforce the raichi (stem) because of the amount of raichi that is exposed to the fish's teeth .

I really don't think that Purple Muddler is going to make a full swing before it gets chomped on :smokin:

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts