Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Click and pawl vs. drag reels, usually brings forth a variety of opinions.

Here is one pawl with authority, housed in a 1928 Hardy Longstone (4"), a reel described in Hardy's 1937 catalogue as: The "Longstone" For Trolling or Casting in Sea,Loch or Rivers, Also Makes A Good Fly Reel.

L.R Hardy, with the firm man and boy ending up as director, for over 50 years, managed to land an Atlantic Salmon of 40lbs. from Norway's Alta River on such a contemporary, and similarly sized Longstone, so I read. Although examination of the photo featuring said salmon shows him holding a rod which looks like a large (possibly 5") Perfect, with lineguard. The other gents. have Hardy Silex's on their rods (#2 and Super Silex) suggesting that they spun artificial 'baits'. Who knows, for the group photo, they may have picked up rods to hand.

I use my Longstone for chinook, out in the boat 'flatlining' on Lake Ontario..on a vintage (1970's) Hardy glass rod. I had considered matching it up with one of my bamboo spey rods, as it's a goodly weight and capacity, yet prefer left hand wind.

Malcolm

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Longstones of this vintage sound like other similarly sized Hardy's of the period, you can hear them all right, but (to my ears) not overly so. Quieter when winding in.

The spring seems as strong as ever, the pawl itself barely marked after these 91 years. No problem at all with a chinoook racing off in relatively shallow water, the check prevents overrun, the palm pressure works on the fish, between runs..

Here is another interesting Hardy check, this from the first model Silex, also catalogued as a multi purpose reel, including fly. Mechanism designed, plus reel made, by Walter Dingley (D), this one from 1910. Blued parts, including the pawl, were heated (then oil quenched) at the bench, over gas burners.

Factory rim cutaway for finger pressure if required. Jewelled (white agate) centre bearing. It has been recorded (in factory records) that it would have taken Mr. Dingley one and a half days to 'finish' (assemble and fit) this reel from parts, some of which he had made possibly, others from the parts store.

Malcolm

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts