Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit the Lewiston Tribune this morning. Idaho is considering closing all steelhead fishing, including C&R on Sept. 29. Washington may follow suit on their side. I'm hoping my trip this weekend isn't the last time I'll ever fish for steelhead in the CW. Heartbreaking time to be a fly swinger in our neck of the woods and for any friend of these incredible fish.

https://lmtribune.com/idaho-to-cons...cle_54027f18-da42-11e9-83d9-7b8cfd3136bc.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
The article states: "The closures would not effect [sic] ongoing fall chinook fishing seasons." Like people fishing for salmon aren't going to catch and release steelhead? And opening that fishery isn't worse for steelhead than allowing C&R fly fishers? On the other hand, I suppose a person could swing for chinook all fall...

It is heartbreaking.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The article states: "The closures would not effect [sic] ongoing fall chinook fishing seasons." Like people fishing for salmon aren't going to catch and release steelhead? And opening that fishery isn't worse for steelhead than allowing C&R fly fishers? On the other hand, I suppose a person could swing for chinook all fall...

It is heartbreaking.
Fall chinook season is set to end Oct. 13, and only occurs Thursday through Sunday, so that would shut most anything off at that time. I do not know how IDFG will enforce illegal targeting of steelhead with an open fall chinook season though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My soul cringes at the thought of the precipitous recent declines. Was I oblivious to declines in the 70s when I first started down this road, or was it just the innocence of youth and the trend was already occurring? I and my stalwart partners will continue going out, if only to practice casting.

As a totally unrelated topic (not really- I looked up precipitous), the man who invented spell check died yesterday. May he rest in piss.

·
Bob Rodgers
225 Posts
And yet in spite of dire predictions about the state of steelhead returns, they left catch and kill in place from the confluence to Memorial Bridge.
Now, in addition to a fall Chinook season, these guys intend to turn the mobs loose on Coho. Won’t they be shocked to find that many anglers probably can’t tell the difference between Chinook, Coho, or Steelhead?

Bob

·
Registered
897 Posts
Seems about right as I just finalized plans yesterday for a week on the CW and a week on the Snake.
I thought it was me that jinxed the season when I finalized plans to go to the CW. Now I can blame it on you:laugh:

Reactions: sinktip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just asking because I've never fished for Coho before but as of today 9/20 the count at LGD is 9 Coho and 39,262 at Bonneville if the season is closing 10/13 will many of the fish have made it to the CW ?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,413 Posts
This reeks of hidden agendas. I’m all for closing the season to protect broodstock numbers but keeping, no excuse me, starting a kill fishery for coho and chinook is asinine.

Far more incidental mortality from the salmon fishery than you would ever get with a CnR steelhead season.

Politics sucks. Shame on you IDFG.

·
registered text offender
1,336 Posts
can there be any method to the madness with IDFG other than bending over and spreading em wide for the meat fishing crowd ? it would seem leaving so little water available for everyone is only going to concentrate all the pressure not reduce it. what will the pressure be like on the remaining snake river tribs that are still wide open ? is there any added protection at all for those fish ? still a free for all for the bait fishermen on the snake above the cutoff, the clearwater 4 days a week and 7 days close to the mouth. this is so obviously not at all about protecting the fish, in fact it seems little to NO added protection whatsoever. am I missing something here or are they (IDFG) just complete morons ??

·
Registered
621 Posts
can there be any method to the madness with IDFG other than bending over and spreading em wide for the meat fishing crowd ? it would seem leaving so little water available for everyone is only going to concentrate all the pressure not reduce it. what will the pressure be like on the remaining snake river tribs that are still wide open ? is there any added protection at all for those fish ? still a free for all for the bait fishermen on the snake above the cutoff, the clearwater 4 days a week and 7 days close to the mouth. this is so obviously not at all about protecting the fish, in fact it seems little to NO added protection whatsoever. am I missing something here or are they (IDFG) just complete morons ??
I agree the salmon season shouldn't be open any additional time past the steelhead closure, but it is only until Oct 13 -- only a fraction of the B-run is in by that date. After that, it should be 6.5 months of rest for what few wild fish are there, including no harassing pooled up winter fish or spawning fish in the south fork.

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree the salmon season shouldn't be open any additional time past the steelhead closure, but it is only until Oct 13 -- only a fraction of the B-run is in by that date. After that, it should be 6.5 months of rest for what few wild fish are there, including no harassing pooled up winter fish or spawning fish in the south fork.
As I've said for years, the fact the South Fork is open at all is lunacy. Best part of this whole deal will be letting those fish be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately, I bet they will open the season back up as soon as they strip enough eggs for hatchery operations. Because that is what is driving this, not any real concern for the river life itself, only the hatchery generated fishery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts