Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Luckily its above the Thompson, but the pics I looked at earlier this weekit didnt look like it should stop salmon migration anymore than other rapids. Also slides and blockages have been happening for centuries, the salmon will adapt.

·
Banned
501 Posts
The department is looking at several options to address the problem, including monitoring the site to determine if fish are able to pass through the area when the water level drops naturally in the coming weeks, she said.

It's also considering reducing the velocity of water or the height of the falls, or providing passage for fish through engineering and rock work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
for those that are interested, here is a link to the gov site with all of the updates in regards to the landslide.

at some point i heard that they were looking into the "fish cannon" device from washington, but were for some reason unable to use it.

it looks as though they are finally able to move some reasonable numbers of fish, although small compared to the 100's of thousands that should be there.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/emergency-response-and-recovery/incident-summaries/big-bar-landslide-incident

·
Registered
101 Posts
So from an adult escapement point, salmon/steelhead should reach the Shuswap/Adams system okay but fish going upstream to the Chilko, Quesnel, and beyond may be seriously impacted this year for sure. I'm not finding a lot of info on the impacts yet, I assume it is too soon but it would be nice to see what the escapement goals are for these systems, what the pre-season estimate came in at, and now, with the blockage in place, what the final escapement numbers might be.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have hard time believing fish, especially chinook cant get past that. That was one big chunk that fell in though. But salmon have been negotiating obstacles like that for centuries.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very interesting definitely not the same problems we have here in Florida. Glad they take it seriously and monitor.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Also its to bad they dont care about the Thompson river steelhead as much!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have hard time believing fish, especially chinook cant get past that. That was one big chunk that fell in though. But salmon have been negotiating obstacles like that for centuries.
I have a hard time believing that similar slides have not frequently occurred in that area for millennia, long before European settlers showed up.

Mass wasting is a common, frequent phenomena on both the Thompson and the Fraser rivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts