Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a little spey box for Montana.

We have two guided days on the Madison and it looks like that’s holding up to the flooding. Unfortunately I won’t be able to Wade the Yellowstone because of the flooding but hoping to do some diy wade fishing with these…somewhere!!

Little intruders on the left. Black one has starling eyes instead of jungle cock. Rattlesnake on the bottom left.

On the right is the casual dress and some larger partridge and pheasant soft hackles. Two colors of sparrows. Some muddlers on the bottom right.
I also have a bunch of partridge and different colors in sz 12 & 14.
Automotive lighting Product Rectangle Gas Tin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good box for sure. Add some thin mints. If yer fishing the upper Madison bring sculpins. That river is lousy with em. I like tube silvenators or just any simple olive/black rabbit strip with a big head.
Nice selection. I'll echo this - thin mints. Had not fished them until I started swinging for trout. They work well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good selection. I would throw in some black and brown rubber leg wooly buggers. The Salmonfly nymphs have to be thick right now and should be well pushed towards the banks. As the flows drop(fingers crossed) this should become a major food source for the next few weeks. Unless I’m totally out of the loop on the hatch timing, which is a definite possibility given how wacky things have been this spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Working on a little spey box for Montana.

We have two guided days on the Madison and it looks like that’s holding up to the flooding. Unfortunately I won’t be able to Wade the Yellowstone because of the flooding but hoping to do some diy wade fishing with these…somewhere!!

Little intruders on the left. Black one has starling eyes instead of jungle cock. Rattlesnake on the bottom left.

On the right is the casual dress and some larger partridge and pheasant soft hackles. Two colors of sparrows. Some muddlers on the bottom right.
I also have a bunch of partridge and different colors in sz 12 & 14. View attachment 401173
The MO at Craig is the spey spot of Montana

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My son guides on the Yellowstone. It will be below 10k next week. Madison is high but fishable. Mo I'd fishing very well. Don't ignore the Gallatin for swinging.
Thanks!

Sounds like we might do one day on the lower Madison and one day in Craig on the MO. It’s actually not a “fishing trip” just going to visit friends that recently moved to Bozeman so a 3rd day DIY on the beaverhead or gallatin would be a real treat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Better tie a few buggers with some weight to them, any fishable river in Western Montana is still running high and looks to be for at least the next few weeks (if not longer), some continue to be on the rise. I just drove over the Madison near Three Forks and it looked big but clearing. The Big Hole near Melrose is high and tannic, perfect steamer conditions, wading is still a bit treacherous. I heard that the Beaverhead is in good condition, I'll be there next week.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That’s good to know maybe we can get up that way
Fair warning. It's peak season on that stretch of the MO. TONS of drift boats and dry fly anglers. Might be hard to find a place to swing without ruffling some feathers. Usually the swing season over there is fall-spring. Mostly because the river traffic is quite a bit lower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts