Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to Idaho from Bozeman, Montana area. Traditionally a trout bum and salt guy, guided all over for 3 years, but now have no excuse not to get my SH*T together and learn the ways of the steelhead. Got the gear, did 23 days a few years back with friends swinging for arctic char and lakers in NWT of Canada on the Horton, but definitely intimidated by the prospect of DIY steelheading. Will be focusing on the Salmon primarily, as it is the closest to me.
Will be on the lower this weekend, not so much to fish (although I certainly will be) as to start learning the water for when it starts cranking up. As far as I can tell, when the temp in the salmon is lower than that of the snake the fish start to move, if only a few this early.
Seeking knowledge, folks to fish with, and occasionally a "chin up buttercup" when Ive been reduced to a sulking mess by the pursuit of this one of a kind creature. Will provide beers and flies for anyone who wants to fish. (The title of this thread should be "trout angler seeks steelhead mentor"; but thats a bit presumptive)
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Boise, so unfortunately not the closest to the steelhead streams; that being said drive time means little for an opportunity to get out.

·
MC
207 Posts
Boise

I believe that IF&G plants adult hatchery steelhead in the North Fork of the Boise river every year...might be something to get you started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MC, thanks for the tip; I heard the same. However, I was also told that it is a complete and total **** show, with local dudes down there waiting for the truck to arrive, jack a couple on bait, throw garbage all over the place etc etc etc. Still might roll down there though as beggars cannot be choosers. Will definitely post a report if I do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Salmon in the fall is a beautiful area even if the fish aren't cooperating. I usually make it up there once or twice. The access is pretty good and the spots are pretty straightforward and along the road more or less. There's a fly shop in Salmon that has treated me well and gave me some helpful tips and information.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Salmon R. is going to be tough to get into Steelhead this Fall/Winter the Dams, and just too much other barriers they face on their journey up river. The River will rise when the irrigation shut down in mid Sept.,and sometimes if the weather/water conditions are right you can get them on the surface usually early season. So if the gut slingers,and jetboats don't bother you the lower Salmon might be the place. The little Salmon has a few fish early on its a fast water fishery don't bother fishing above 400 cfs. Any way it can be good but timing is everything, you've heard the saying "you should of been here yesterday"! That's Steelhead fishing. We need some rain,and cooler weather right now.
Any way welcome to Idaho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TD; thanks for info. Im heading up to white bird this afternoon, really just trying to figure the water out, fish or no fish. Maybe a few of em are wanting to cruise into the lower Salmon as it is 5 degrees C cooler than the Snake.
Really appreciate advice from everybody

·
MC
207 Posts
Bummer

MC, thanks for the tip; I heard the same. However, I was also told that it is a complete and total **** show, with local dudes down there waiting for the truck to arrive, jack a couple on bait, throw garbage all over the place etc etc etc. Still might roll down there though as beggars cannot be choosers. Will definitely post a report if I do.
I hadn't thought about that...makes sense though, being so close to Boise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CW this past weekend

Things are starting to get going on the CW from what I understand; beginners luck afforded me a big look at a skated dry in the evening on saturday. If anyone wants to fish this weekend on the CW let me know, I will be back up there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just moved to Idaho from Bozeman, Montana area. Traditionally a trout bum and salt guy, guided all over for 3 years, but now have no excuse not to get my SH*T together and learn the ways of the steelhead. Got the gear, did 23 days a few years back with friends swinging for arctic char and lakers in NWT of Canada on the Horton, but definitely intimidated by the prospect of DIY steelheading. Will be focusing on the Salmon primarily, as it is the closest to me.
Will be on the lower this weekend, not so much to fish (although I certainly will be) as to start learning the water for when it starts cranking up. As far as I can tell, when the temp in the salmon is lower than that of the snake the fish start to move, if only a few this early.
Seeking knowledge, folks to fish with, and occasionally a "chin up buttercup" when Ive been reduced to a sulking mess by the pursuit of this one of a kind creature. Will provide beers and flies for anyone who wants to fish. (The title of this thread should be "trout angler seeks steelhead mentor"; but thats a bit presumptive)
Cheers
I live in Salmon and work part time at the Salmon River Fly Box (the fly shop in Salmon). If you plan to fish in this part of the world, shoot me a PM sometime. I fish about every day when the fish show up. Also, be advised there's a "Spey Day" event being held at the city park, and sponsored by the Fly shop this Saturday, October 1. There will be plenty of two handers to demo, free brats and I believe beer for sale. There will be a bunch of reps attending. You could check out the fly shop Facebook page for more details, it should be very informative!!

I will be fishing the CW next week.

Good luck!!

BP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts