Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
let's see - I retire in 15.5 months, am selling everything and buying a truck and trailer and following the fish - how long will it take me to hit all 50 sites!!??

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Well --lets see. When it is above the freezing level then the wind blows so hard you can't cast a line. The odd day when the wind is below 30 MPH you may get in some time before it goes back up over 30 MPH. And sometimes the chinook wind blows up to 60-80MPH then you become a beer drinker and talk about fishing. I fished down there ( I was from Alberta). The only time I say calm water as shown in the pictures was before sun came up in the morning

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Rick, from where you are its a long drive to Western Montana.

let's see - I retire in 15.5 months, am selling everything and buying a truck and trailer and following the fish - how long will it take me to hit all 50 sites!!??
You're further south from me so count on about 18 hours (with normal stops) to get to Missoula. RV park and off you go in the truck. You could fish the rivers/streams within an hours drive and never touch the same water/stream twice over a full week.

As I remind folks(!) fuel stops in Southern Idaho and all of Montana are few and far between. Get below one half tank, hit the next one you see and top off. :whoa:

fae

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Fred - I won't be where I am now!!! Plan on hanging my shingle up at the OP in the winter - then head over to Idaho/Montana in the late spring/ summer - up to the Clearwater/ Grand Ronde in the fall and back to the Klamath in the late fall- unless something else peaks my interest!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rick, I feel for ya,

Fred - I won't be where I am now!!! Plan on hanging my shingle up at the OP in the winter - then head over to Idaho/Montana in the late spring/ summer - up to the Clearwater/ Grand Ronde in the fall and back to the Klamath in the late fall- unless something else peaks my interest!!!
jobless in the winter in the OP, then waiting for the fish to show on the GR. Tough on the nerves.;)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good laugh as I read this.

Montana is full. I hear North Dakota is nice.
Montana was my first experience with the word ... Empty. Population just passed through 1 Million. Couple of weeks back, no idea why now, I was checking on some population stat's for comparison purposes. Montana at 1M .... one County, King County, Washington (Seattle, Bellevue, etc) was over THREE MILLION! :eek:

Getting around in that must be a total Zoo. :smokin:

fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

Those of use who live in Puget Sound and have to travel through the Bellevue, Seattle corridor simply call it "traffic" and try to avoid it if we can during morning and evening work travel times, especially when there is a Mariners home game in the evening. Not nearly enough north-south, or east-west roads through it. One definitely cannot travel in Puget Sound like I did during the 12 years I lived in Montana where it was common to drive on gravel roads at 60 mph as a 25 mile short-cut instead of driving 50 or 60 miles around on the paved roads.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like my plan, except I have a lot more time to go before it can go into action!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Drove through Montana and Wyoming on a non-fishing road trip this summer, and that is truly some beautiful country. Even my city loving wife wants to spend more time in the west. I may see a truck and trailer in my retirement future.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Montana

Were I so inclined, I think I would also include Wyoming, Colorado & definitely, Idaho. Big ass Diesel truck pulling a super tricked out fifth wheel & a drift boat.:D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll never keep up with the long haul truck rigs.

Were I so inclined, I think I would also include Wyoming, Colorado & definitely, Idaho. Big ass Diesel truck pulling a super tricked out fifth wheel & a drift boat.:D
Montana had to put a speed limit on all Federal Roads a few years back ... but I don't think anyone pays the slightest attention. :eek: Driving in my 'safe speed zone' of 62 - 65 mph (cruise control on:smokin:) and 18 wheelers would blow by me like I was parked on the side of I-90.

Actually got pulled over once for 'driving too slow.' Had to point out to the Officer that, save for he and me, there was no one else in eye sight. Actually I think he wanted to find out if I was 'impaired' by 'Demon Rum.';)

fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Big Sky Country

Beneath all of that "Big Sky" is one hell of a lot of land, quite often encompassing considerable distances between point A (where you had breakfast) & point B (where you had to be to conduct business & return to point A by sundown). Montana folks, being Montana folks did not cotton to the idea of wasting time commuting, much less being pushed around by a bunch of federal bureaucrats. So when the Feds passed the 55mph National speed limit and told all the states they must issue citations or lose all federal highway funds, Montana issued citations for wasting fuel, fine=$5.00. :lildevl:

·
Banned
879 Posts
to expand...

The $5.00 speeding ticket was for 'daytime' driving (not reckless) after the Feds imposed the 55mph speed limit.
You were also allowed 30 speeding tickets a year before being turned in to the DMV.
The fine was paid to the officer who pulled you over.
Open container was legal so if speeding while enjoying a brewsky always wise to have a $5 bill ready. :smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That took me back more than a few years.

to expand...

The $5.00 speeding ticket was for 'daytime' driving (not reckless) after the Feds imposed the 55mph speed limit.
You were also allowed 30 speeding tickets a year before being turned in to the DMV.
The fine was paid to the officer who pulled you over.
Open container was legal so if speeding while enjoying a brewsky always wise to have a $5 bill ready. :smokin:
That took me back more than a few years. "Have you been drinking Sir?" 'I have my dogs in the back and there's no way I'm going to put them in jeopardy.' (Me neither!) Rear window rolled down a bit and two huge fuzz-faces sticking out ... ''May I pet your dogs?''

Like Texas, I think Montana is a "State of Mind.":smokin:

fae

1 - 18 of 18 Posts