Spey Pages banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use Berkeley Big Game 25# for up to 6wt and 40# for heavier. At $6 for a spool that lasts a lifetime it a bargain. It shoots far and easy and I rarely have knot issues. I also like being able to hold my running line high and out of the cross current because it is so light and visible.
Some have mentioned knot frustration with BBG. I suspect they fish colder environments than I do. I never encounter sub freezing temperatures.

Orange colored Catfish mono was mentioned. I love that stuff because it really resists knits and coiling. I use it with sinking lines when shooting far for stripers out of a boat. BBG tends to coil if dry and in the wind. It's fine if wet. But I save my Catfish mono for stripers because its $10 a spool vs $6 for BG and BG does so well in rivers. And I can't find Catfsh mono anymore.

·
Fly Away
109 Posts
I am no fan of OPST Lazar running lines, though I like their shooting heads fine. I lost two nice fish and shooting heads when my Lazar lines failed. Lazar is slick and casts fine, but it's softer tectured than Berkely, Varivas, RIO slickshooter, Amnesia, or other mono shooting lines. Guides I've fished with in B.C. don't like OPST's Lazar line either. One told me he was able to break it with his hands. I'm going back to Varivas for summer fishing and Scientific Anglers Monocore for winter. Those lines have never failed me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hello together,

yes it is interesting to read the diffrent point of views and your experiences. So mainly the Big Game has a good reputation, I used it several years ago for coarse fishing,
maybe I had a batch that wasn´t so good, but it was not as good as others for that, maybe I should give it a second chance.
I ordered the Guideline Compline II, i think it is produced in Japan and a new product from Stroft here in Ger., I liked their lines for spin-fishing, there was nearly no memory
and it has a very good surface resistance and works foe seatrout fishing during winter time..
I searched about recommondations of the new Stroft, but I only got a feedback from my Tackel Dealer, that they tested it in Norway for Salmon and that they were
really satisfied.
My Focus is not even on the lowest price level, the line should fullfill my requirements and sometimes it is cheaper to buy something good once.
But that is only my opinion, I will check this both options and than we will see.

Regards Jörn

21 - 23 of 23 Posts