Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

today my Echo TS Trout spey rod class #2 arrived, a lovely nice rod and I know what I will do latest next weekend!

But this was not my intention for this message, actual I use a guideline TSL 2.0 DC and a Lee Wulff Tracer runningline
that works for me without problems and i think it is agood option for floating or 3D floater heads.
But in some cases I think a monofil running line would have advantages like in cases of sinking heads, or to reduce the
influence of the surface current and wind.

So I know that in the States Steelhead fishing is a big theme, so I think you use alot of monofil running lines and I hope
that you can recommend some good stuff that works also during the colder winter time.

And one big issue is how to fix the line to the shooting head, do you use Loops if you want to change the head immediately
to be flexible due to the water conditions or do you use a knot each time?

Maybe you have a good solution for me in the backhand!?

Regards Jörn

·
Registered
Beulah Vision Sage
95 Posts
Im a big fan of rio grip shooter, solely for the handling section which makes life a whole lot easier for me personally. I have fished Opst and berkley big game as well and liked both.. As for knots, triple surgeon for the mono, gripshooter has pretied loops. I typically dont store my heads on my reels unless im fishing almost every day but If looping I wouldnt bother cutting and re knotting unless it looks like you need it.

Maybe try staying local, Ger-line mega soft pro looks kind of cool!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Berkly pro spec. 20lb for up to a 6wt. 30lb for 7wt and above. (Heavier if game is specifically aggressive or large I.e. giant kings). Make a loop with a double surgeons big enough to get around your reel and makes swapping heads easy. Go get em

·
Registered
Sage, Redington, Hardy, G. Loomis
206 Posts
I'm a big fan of Rio's new Powerflex Ultra Shooting line. It's a hybrid between a mono running line and coated fly line style. Doesn't coil, a tad bit thicker, easy to grip, shoots far. Nice stuff. I'd go with the 0.025" version.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Casey what is “hybrid” about it? Looks just like the latest generation rio coated line, exact same diameters as before, but $20 more per spool which is typical for far bank. Gripshooter seems to be the only thing that’s in between?

·
Registered
Sage, Redington, Hardy, G. Loomis
206 Posts
Casey what is “hybrid” about it? Looks just like the latest generation rio coated line, exact same diameters as before, but $20 more per spool which is typical for far bank. Gripshooter seems to be the only thing that’s in between?
It's like a basically a thicker mono that doesn't coil. It shoots like a mono, but it doesn't coil like a coated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks, interesting that’s your impression from the performance. Their marketing doesn’t say anything like that. Farbank is good at calling normal technology new and raising price. This is clearly a regular coated line. From their website:

“A hard, tough coated shooting line, which excels on the shoot.

RIO's Powerflex Ultra Shooting Line is an excellent shooting line for anglers using Skagit or Scandi style shooting heads. It features an extremely tough outer coating, over a medium stiff Powerflex core that shoots with unbelievable ease.”

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,554 Posts
Berkly pro spec. 20lb for up to a 6wt. 30lb for 7wt and above. (Heavier if game is specifically aggressive or large I.e. giant kings). Make a loop with a double surgeons big enough to get around your reel and makes swapping heads easy. Go get em
Orange 🤷🏻‍♂️😏😜

·
Registered
65 Posts
another nod to the berkley pro spec. and if u live overseas they sell 200m spools so u dont have to buy the whole 1000yd bulk spool like here in the states. 20lb i would suggest as its a little thicker than other mono

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Once I switched to the OPST Lazr Line a few years ago, I never looked back. Very little memory and launches. I love it and have it on all of my reels. Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like OPST Lazar line the best because once stretched it stays stretched in sub freezing weather. I also use Berkley Pro Spec and Big Game with the Pro Spec a little easier to stretch than Big Game. I also use Amnesia for my light 3 and 4 wt rods and it stretches nicely but gets coily as soon as I reel it back in.

I tie a 5-6 inch double surgeons loop in the end which also serves as the amount of overhang that I like to cast. It also allows me to feel the knot when fishing in the dark as an indicator to start the cast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use 35lb slick shooter or SA absolute flat mono for my 4 and 7 weight rods, trout and steelhead. Very easy to shoot, I just put the whole spool on my reel and cut off a few yards when it gets worn. I tie a triple surgeons loop large enough to pass a coiled head through, and use knot sense. If I start to lose trust in the loop, just cut it off and make a new one.

Coated lines are much easier to handle, but you do sacrifice distance.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,554 Posts
And it's orange! 😂 Not to be confused with Catfish Orange.
The orange comment is really more about mono is mono while some are better or worse or waaaaay over priced for what you actually get a good color is orange 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️😏

Reactions: V-Loop

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys,

I`m impressed to get so much response and it is a great mix, today I´ve not much time left, but tomorrow I will give you a first feedback.
Great support of you all!
Thanks.

Jörn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts