Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up my switch rod. I am going to get a skagit head but not sure on the running line. I see a lot of people using mono but my question is doesn't mono wear out the snake guides on the rod?

Also is running line and shooting line the same thing?

As you can tell I'm new to this...

Thanks for any input!

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Slick shooter

I use oval mono running line called slick shooter during the winter. I have seen no evidence of it wearing the line guides, but there is only load on the line when fighting a fish, so unless you are a fish catching machine, guide wear is a non-issue. The only issue I have with it is memory. One MUST spend the time to run the running line through a rubber straightener prior to fishing. And it picks up that same memory virtually overnight, so you have to straighten it each and every time. The best running line I have used is miracle braid. It costs three times what slick shooter costs but it has zero memory.

·
Registered
328 Posts
OPST lazar line is SO sweet. Finally got some last week, fished it over the wknd...oh my! Took a couple friends to convince me to try it and a single cast to convince me of their wisdom. Nice price point too, you won't be disappointed.

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
334 Posts
Running line

Give Trilene Big Game in 30# or 40# a try. Low cost, You can stretch the kinks out of it, Easy to grip. Be sure to clean whatever mono you choose.

I am using 40# Trline Catfish line and it seems to be working ok for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
581 Posts
I personally like using the Rio Connectcore through the winter. used several different mono types over the years and this stuff is by far my favourite. Its more like a thin fly line but also has no stretch meaning you feel everything through the swing from light taps against objects or by fish to heart racing line ripping grabs :D

First time I used this stuff I was amazed at how many things I could feel over the mono running line I had been using

Just something else to consider

·
Registered
36 Posts
finger pain

I switch from Slick Shooter to Airflo Miracle Braid. Much easier to use, shoots just as far.
I like the Miracle braid, but a three day trip with all the stripping over my right middle finger, that braided line sliced through my finger eventually. Don't try to grab it during a fast run by a hooked fish either. But much easier to use than mono. Also gonna try the OPST eventually.

Wayne

·
Registered
258 Posts
Big game solar - you have to really stretch it especially before going out in cold weather. You may also want to use electrical splicing tape in cold weather.
OPST is getting good reviews I may give it a try. But it is smaller in diameter than Trilene.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Sorry about the hijack...

I like the Miracle braid, but a three day trip with all the stripping over my right middle finger, that braided line sliced through my finger eventually. Don't try to grab it during a fast run by a hooked fish either. But much easier to use than mono. Also gonna try the OPST eventually.

Wayne
End that finger pain! I have been using Flexx-Rap tape to build my own stripping guards. Dirt cheap...$3.20 a roll, made of latex, sticks to itself and not much else, and I bought it from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada. Lots of retailers down there. No more line slices for me. Cheers, Buff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I can say is wow....it is amazing how many responded to my question already and in great detail! It is great to see a site where so many people want to help out. Thank you all very much!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, running and shooting line is the same thing.

Lots of options and opinions out there. It pays to experiment and see what you like best. I have tried mono, braided, and coated shooting lines and they all have their good and bad qualities. for a beginner I say start with a coated fly line shooter like ridge line or something similar, it may not cast as far as mono but it is easier to use and learning to cast a two hander shouldn't be made any more difficult than it already is by equipment that needs extra care.

·
Registered
104 Posts
End that finger pain! I have been using Flexx-Rap tape to build my own stripping guards. Dirt cheap...$3.20 a roll, made of latex, sticks to itself and not much else, and I bought it from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada. Lots of retailers down there. No more line slices for me. Cheers, Buff.
Buff - where is Lee Valley Tools? Are you on the island?

·
Banned
571 Posts
Haar! Thread Hijacker here.

Yes, I am on the Island. We have a Lee Valley store in Langford, two hamlets to the east from Sooke. Lee Valley Tools has two Lower Mainland locations, SE Marine in Vancouver and United Blvd in Coquitlam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out that auction site for 'flexx wrap' alternatives. The salon workers use it when painting nails to cover their fingers. It's exactly the same stuff. Comes in different shades then that bright blue! I have like 30 rolls of a nude color and paid I think 10 bucks for all those rolls! A lifetime supply straight from China :) works great as a striping guard

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Sawada flat beam - a very good mono running line....

Mike

·
Banned
571 Posts
Not exactly the same stuff...

Check out that auction site for 'flexx wrap' alternatives. The salon workers use it when painting nails to cover their fingers. It's exactly the same stuff. Comes in different shades then that bright blue! I have like 30 rolls of a nude color and paid I think 10 bucks for all those rolls! A lifetime supply straight from China :) works great as a striping guard
You mean stripping guard? Similar, but not exactly the same. Yes, both products are tape.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, I am on the Island. We have a Lee Valley store in Langford, two hamlets to the east from Sooke. Lee Valley Tools has two Lower Mainland locations, SE Marine in Vancouver and United Blvd in Coquitlam.
Thanks Buff.

My bro in law lives in jordan River so was going to ask him to pick some up for me... Coquitlam is 10 mins away so much easier! Ha ha.

Thanks!

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
If you have a wife that sews get some spandex, yup, same stuff bathing suits are made of and get her to make some finger sleeves. I square foot of the stuff and you have a lifetime supply of material. I have been using the same one for 3 years now. Better make a few as you will lose them before you wear them out. The salt chuck guys use them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts