Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I have always used regular running lines such as Airflo Ridge with my Skagit heads. But recently I purchased some mono running line (OPST Lazar line in 50 lb test size).

This stuff is great! No kinking or tangling problems and shoots incredible distances! The only problem I'm having is when coming forward with the cast the mono tends to slip a little from my fingers while pinching it to the cork.

Is there a cure for this slippage? Such as wrapping a special tape around the cork where I pinch the line or putting something on my fingers? Or do I have to just pinch the line to the cork harder and get used to it?

Thanks for any advice from all you mono running line veterans out there :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Find an "o" ring the right size, roll it to where you want to pinch the running line, then tape it in place with self-amalgamating tape which is also rubber so enhances grip against the ring. I used to use a rubber band but it's a bit untidy, though it works too.

TL
Richard

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In the past I have always used regular running lines such as Airflo Ridge with my Skagit heads. But recently I purchased some mono running line (OPST Lazar line in 50 lb test size).

This stuff is great! No kinking or tangling problems and shoots incredible distances! The only problem I'm having is when coming forward with the cast the mono tends to slip a little from my fingers while pinching it to the cork.

Is there a cure for this slippage? Such as wrapping a special tape around the cork where I pinch the line or putting something on my fingers? Or do I have to just pinch the line to the cork harder and get used to it?

Thanks for any advice from all you mono running line veterans out there :)
Deneki has a post on using rubber plumbing tape. It provides grip but doesn't have a bunch of adhesive to stick to your cork. Check it out. You can buy the tape for a few bucks. They even provided a link.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I've evolved to looping the run line over my middle finger, under the rest. Has worked really well for me, much better control and no negative effects.

·
Registered
301 Posts
David1123

I had the same problem when I used Slick Shooter, so I decided to try Miracle Braid, and I haven't had any problems since. I don't have to stretch it, or grease it, it doesn't kink, and for me It seems to shoot just as far. But it does seem to require a little brake in time.

·
Ethie24
147 Posts
Tape

Hey buddy, I have a few reels lined up with the Lazar line and you re right this stuff jacks. Big Tuna hit it right on, there's a plumbers tape you can get that doesn;t have much adhesive but for some reason it has some serious stick, PFM if you ask me. Anyways i picked some cause I found my 50lb slippping a bit also. Don;t have the box in front of me but you can buy it at Home Depot pretty sure its made by 3M. Its called friction tape. Gonna run the Lazar stuff until it gets really cold than switch to gripshooter.

You can google some Ed ward Mono stuff thats how I found it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
745 Posts

This is a technique that was shown a while back. Never needed to use plumbers tape after (even in sub zero temperature). For the purpose of better visibility, I'm using the shooting head to better illustrate how both hands would grip the mono line.

PS. Thanks to my 8 year old daughter for helping with the photos. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same here

I do the same as rustybee does. I hold my loops with my bottom hand and light pressure from the top and bottom hand is more than enough to keep the shooting line from slipping on the forward stroke.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Hi guy
I don't know where the plumber come into the picture here as the tape is used by electricians for wrapping electrical splices. It is called splicing or compound tape and can also be found at any electrical contractor outlet or electrical wholesale outlet. It only really sticks to itself. Stretch it a little when you wrap it on the rod and it becomes one mass. Thunderbolt has the correct picture of the tape. 3M is probably the best stuff. Make sure you store it in a ziplock bag as it can dry out over time.
Bjay

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
40# mono - index finger of each hand - against da cork.
Never been a problem for me that way.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Try Flexx Wrap...

I have been buying Flexx Wrap, a latex-based tape that sticks to itself and leaves no residue. I originally used it as a stripping guard on the fingers of my line hand to prevent line cuts...years of abuse have left me with thin skin. When I went to the OPST running line, I needed the stick from tape on the cork, so I used the Flexx Wrap on the grip. I buy my supply from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada, about $5.00 a roll. Great stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts