Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at these little boats, and they look a fantastic tool for the solo angler. I would be using it for steel heading in the fall round the Skeena system.

Was wondering how safe this would be for a novice ? I would be fishing rivers like the Bulkley. I would only use it to get me to the run, I would then wade fish.

Are these boats easy to manover when going up and down stream, and how safe are they in choppy water ?

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
I have 2 of them and they are safe and easy to understand. I use them when I have just one angler with me for trout & grayling fishing on either smaller streams or low water where a full size river boat will get torn up. If you get one Look at this site; Improving Your Mokai There are many refinements that make them a better watercraft. I highly recommend the centrifugal clutch modification and the auto bilge pump kit.

Mine are a 2009 which has a new 2014 7 hp Subaru motor and every mod that Tom sells on it and a 2012 with just the clutch and bilge kits. Both have the Subaru electric start motor and are dependable little boats.

Performance wise don't expect them to be fast. The Mokai website makes it look like you could pull a skier and I suspect the video runs a bit faster than the boat in it. However they will do between 4 and 7 mph against a strong current and 15 mph going downstream. You learn where to run to stay out of the very swiftest currents and honestly one will get you 5 miles up a stream or river way faster than you could walk.

Here's a picture of my 2009 where I don't have to worry about running into any other fishermen.

You get your own system for carrying Spey rods and other stuff needed. The bow area will hold a small cooler and as you see I carry a Nomad Boat size net so I can scoop fish.

And the cockpit is big enough for you to take your 90 pound German Shepherd too :)

We generally motor up for miles then take a break and assemble rods and eat a snack. Then you fish until it makes sense to go back and bring the boats down stream, that's my job........ By the time you work your way down to that really good spot the fish have calmed down and forgotten about those little boats that went upstream and hour or 2 ago. I really enjoy them a bunch.

Ard

PS. I'm leaving for the cabin now and won't answer any questions until I get home. Check out the Painless Website.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
I'm disappointed :(

I thought we were going to have a lively discussion about these boats.........

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been looking at these little boats, and they look a fantastic tool for the solo angler. I would be using it for steel heading in the fall round the Skeena system.

Was wondering how safe this would be for a novice ? I would be fishing rivers like the Bulkley. I would only use it to get me to the run, I would then wade fish.

Are these boats easy to manover when going up and down stream, and how safe are they in choppy water ?
For $5500 buy a little jet sled. I'll sell you one in Terrace for less than that.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Boss is lookin' good in the bow Ard! Do you have to tie him in, or does he like the ride?

Just on the odd chance you caught an edge going through a rapid, or just weren't paying attention, will those critters float if capsized?

Very cool way to get around. I reckon no major wakes either?

Ard, are yours one piece, or do they break down into 3?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
beats bushwhacking!

My buddy and I presently own 3 newer models and recently sold 3 older ones. Spent 12 years bushwhacking southeast Alaska streams and when these boats were first introduced, we took the leap for 2 of them. We liked the first 2 enough that we bought a 3rd for guests.

There is a small learning curve, as mentioned, basically staying out of stronger stream currents and picking your way upstream from bolder eddy to bolder eddy.

Original models had Honda engines and overall we thoroughly enjoyed the easier access the Mokai's provided going way upstream. Inevitably the Honda engines were constantly an issue and when you're outback and 50 miles from no where, taking carburetors apart streamside was a pain in the ass. Last year we bought 2 used slightly older models with the Subaru engines with electric start and have very much enjoyed the difference. They will run for a solid 6 hours on a single 2 gal tank of gas. They handle well in fairly rough water whether in open salt or in stream rapids. We will take them out for a leisurely cruise in the evening and do some wildlife viewing also. I have flipped mine going downstream and that was a hairy event I hope doesn't happen again!

We are hoping to convert the 3rd Honda boat to a Subaru engine, but that is a $1,500-$2,000 job including engine, brackets, cables and engine cover. We have always done quite a bit of customizing on the boats that we own. The polyethylene hulls are 1/4" thick and are pretty easily "welded" with a soldering iron for any repairs or modifications that might be needed. We have added PVC piping for rod tubes so we don't have to break our rods down when hopping from hole to hole, elastic cross strapping to carry waterproof bags, GPS holders, 15' nylon pull ropes, interior shelves, shotgun holders, etc. Others have added fish finders, windshields and all sorts of improvements.

We store the Mokais on top of our mother ship, a 30' lobster boat which we converted and use as floating cabin. A hand winch lifts them from the water to to roof. We recently, this past winter bought a 21' river jet skiff that will comfortably carry 2 of the Mokais to get us around a bit faster from a mother ship to more remote, larger rivers.

I generally feel confident recommending the Mokai craft. The newest models are 3 pc hulls and have altogether replaced one pc. that we own. I am not personally sold on the concept, but spoke with Mokai's owner this past week and understand they are swamped with orders.

If I can be of any further help, send me a PM and I will be glad to do so.

Attachments

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
Hi Bob,

I don't think I'll be flipping mine so I'm not gonna worry about what happens. Boss just sits there and enjoys the ride. When he was a pup he was scared to float a river with me on the big pontoon raft. 10 years later I have to coax him off the bow of the jet boat when we're doing 30 mph. I guess he's all grown up now.

Hi steelguy,

First time I ever saw a post from you here. Your adventures down there sound great, I wish I could get down there to go with you and your pal. Maybe in another year.......... I could put one of mine on the Ferry and come that way. If you don't already have the auto bilge systems in your boats you would love them, another good change is the clutch. You may already have them but I thought I'd mention it.

Funny, the guy who started the thread never came back.............

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I'm enjoying these posts. They would have an application in the situations where I fish in Ontario.

Question. If everyone recommends all these modifications why doesn't Mokai just incorporate them into the stock configuration?

Preston

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
My guess

That is a very good question! Mokai is not a large company, maybe 6 or 8 employees. They have 2 or 3 in the office and 1 that does technical research with the balance on the floor assembling. I don't think they have the research and development to constantly look for improving what they already have begun to market. They have a large map with pins indicating locations all over the world they have sold their boats. We are talking about A LOT OF PINS! So, its production and supply 110% of the time. Last year they introduced the 3 piece hull that was years in the development and that was a tremendous undertaking and accomplishment and is now selling faster than they can keep up with demand. To the best of my understanding, they only do direct sales and are not represented buy a large distributor. The modifications and definite improvements that Tom of Improve Your Mokai has made are on a huge platform of investment and effort that Mokai has made over many years. May be wrong, but that is my take on a company that I am fairly familiar with. Plus, I would have to assume that Tom has patents on the products he has introduced.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mokai

There is one on the Grand. Came upstream to Paris and then floated out of sight as the driver fished. Looks like a good thing except very loud. Maybe there was a muffler problem.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That would be my #1 concern. I could easily see a lot of river residents on the rivers I fish really pissed off at 7am when one of these buzzed by.

Based on the videos on youtube they are just really loud. 88dB after modifications to reduce the noise...which is still really loud (above 85dB can cause hearing loss after 8 hours).

Preston

There is one on the Grand. Came upstream to Paris and then floated out of sight as the driver fished. Looks like a good thing except very loud. Maybe there was a muffler problem.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
They can be quieted to some extent but where we use them noise is good, we wear hearing protection. These craft are (in my own use) not big water watercraft. They are used during low water events and on small rivers where a full size river boat is not only too large but dangerous. The little boat can negotiate channels 4' wide and 12" deep. The noise is good because it alerts bears of your approach. I only use them in remote places so noise isn't a consideration.

Ard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts