Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any info about Moisie River in Canada? I´ve seen it mentioned as a dream choice in a few articles of well-known Scandinavian fishermen.

Hard to get on? As good as the myth implies?

/fredrik

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've heard it's a July fishery, not much happening in June. I've also heard that it's very, very French. If you don't speak French make sure you have good accomodations. Gaspe is much friendlier to us non-French speakers, though I have ordered "pizza" and gotten "poulet" a few times. It's all good, the fried chicken is awesome up there.

Regarding the fish, I've heard they're quite something. Tails like a canoe paddle and all that. I know a solid-good salmon fisherman who lost three fly lines in a week up in the canyon water. I'd love to fish it some day myself, I like those big bad rivers. Perhaps somone on the list knows of a good outfitter.

Small flies is the word too, # 8's and smaller.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hello Fredtrout,

As in nearly all atlantic salmon fishing your potential results are tightly linked to the quality of water you are able to secure (which is directly related to the dollars spent). For the best water it is very difficult to secure a week's fishing. Try contacting the ZEC and they will send you out an outfitter's list. Good Luck!!!

"The office of the APRM at 660, boul. Laure, Sept-Îles, QC - Tel.: (418) 962-3737 or, in season only, (418) 927-2021 - Fax: 418 962-3234"

Also do a search for salmon quebec and weave your way through the website. It contains most of the data you are looking for reguarding sectors and 'reported' catch stats for the past 10 years.

Are the fish as legendary as their reputation??? Maybe Topher will chime in and add his .02 ;)

William

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My French is poor but I make my way through France, so I guess the language is no biggie.

I´m not actually planning a trip there, I´m just curious to see why it´s so hyped by some fishermen.

I gather that the fish is big an dplentiful. How about the scenery? What about the cost of permits? Hard to get your hands on?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found some web sites, btw, but it´s hard to judge the real character from commercial sites. Looks nice, though. However, us Scandinavians have literally hundreds of stunningly beautiful Norwegian rivers to last us a lifetime. But I´d love to fish North America sometime in the future, both the atlantic salmon in the east and the steelheads and kings in the PNW. My friends who have fished North America comment on the scenery, the wild and often unspoiled nature, the friendliness of the people and the superb organization of the fisheries. I like the idea that a lot of the fishing is strictly regulated and ethical.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Fredrik
To check out the Moisie go to
www.moisie-ouapetec.com
Nice pic's of the Moisie (and some of it's fish)
But I would check out the prices first !!!!!!!!! That being said they are reputed to be an excellent outfitter
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moisie-Ouapetec lodge

But those prices are just silly! :whoa: Who are the guests? Emperors and kings??
It must be possible to find good fishing at reasonable charges.

J

·
0 Posts
Silly? They're lower than many of the Russian rivers and you don't have to put up with the fog and rude customs officials at Murmansk. And you don't have to spend time in old Soviet helicopters. Like salmon fishing all over the world, you get what you pay for and the best is not inexpensive. While the prices shown on this site are more than I can afford, it doesn't make them silly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course, but nearly eight grand for one week´s fishing?? I could pay up for excellent fishing, but this seems to be a lot about convenience, great food etc . I don´t have a problem with companies making a bundle on rich executive types who fish for one week a year etc but the trend today seems to be towards more and more expensive and exclusive fishing and that´s too bad.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fredtrout,

If you call this number, 1-800-950-5256, you can order free guide books to the Salmon Rivers of Quebec. This is the number for Saumon Quebec. They have one guide book on the Gaspe and one on the North Shore and Anticosti Island. The later has a section on the Moisie.

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts