Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on a different thread I have been looking at the Mohlin reels. What experiences have people had with them ? They seem reasonably priced for custom reels.

Gillie

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I used to own a click/pawl model that was made in limited production that was very nice. I sold it to sinktip and he seems to be digging it. I got rid of it only due to my move out east and the need to beef up my saltwater reel collection.

The only issue with the mohlins in general is capacity. Even the largest models are at best suited to 9/10 mid bellies(if that) at the most. More than enough for alot of folks but not long liners.

-sean

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gillie,
I have one of the limited edition click and pawl Mohlins that sean references. It's a sweet reel...you can take a look at it next time I run into you on the river. Like he says the only issue I have with it is capacity. Works w/ a Mid Spey 9/10 with maybe 100 yards or so 30 lb Dacron. A Delta Short 6/7 with it's fat running line didn't really fit without cutting way back on the backing or chopping some of the running line. Airflo Skagit 420 fits with running line and good amount of backing. Not positive how the capacity on my reel compares w/ his EM Salmon Wide drum reel but I seem to recall reading on Jim Williams’s site that it is the same size. Anyway, Jim would know for sure as he originally commissioned the click and pawls.
dave

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Do Mohlin reels have higher then 1:1 gear ratio?
The reels look very much like Abu Ambassador Casting Reel. Based on the picturer on their home page they have also quite small arbor, which in the case of large fast running salmon may cause same problems.

Martin

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I am taken with mine I picked up from Sean. The only dig on this particular model is capacity. It will easily hold a 6/7 Long Delta up to an 8/9 Midspey and a good amount of dacron backing but anything bigger and it gets tight. According to what I have learned e-mailing back and forth with a guy who works with Bo, the limited edition click pawl set equates to either the Seatrout or Seatrout Narrow models. The Salmon models have slightly larger capacity. He does make some large saltwater reels as well but not in the classic style.

Sazan -- I believe all the classic models are 1:1.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Sinktip,

If gear ratio is 1:1 have you observed any problem with slow retrieve of the line?
Do you know if Bogan or Peerless have also the same gear ratio?

Martin

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Bogdan

I believe Bogdans are 1.7:1.

I did ask the Mohlin distributor (Erik I think) about the Mohlin ratios and they are indeed 1:1 for all the Classic models.

As of two months ago Mohlin had nothing in the spey sizes available. Apparently he's going to be making some over the winter.

Also, I did speed with Stephen Bogdan and had finished a bunch of Salmon 400s and was going to run some batches of spey sized reels (100, 200, 300, etc.).

Hope that helps,
Preston

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Steve & Stan Bogdan's contact telephone number is 603-924-9822, fax is 603-924-3854. No web-page that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty sure the retreive multiplier is 2 to 1, but you could ask him & clarify for us all. I've only done the visual review with my own (not a scientific approach).

The web page for Mohlin (google his name to find) doesn't mention any multiplier function on his reels.

Happy holidays,

Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mohlin Still Available?

I am wondering if anyone has information on what is happening with the Mohlin reels. I ordered one on March 3. The website indicated that delivery would be confirmed when the order is placed and the reel would be delivered in approximately 4 to 6 weeks. It has been over 12 weeks and I am unable to get an estimated delivery date. Apparently, Bo Mohlin has some serious health issues, but, it is rumored, will continue to make reels. Nonetheless, I am having no success in getting even a guess as to delivery date. Any information regarding Mohlin would be appreciated. It appears I am getting the run-around from the distributor. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have a wide seatrout 3 5/8'' click and pall. have had lose screw,fixed with locktight.Only problem.Have a skagit 550 on it.Prior ,had a wc 9/10/11 on it .I dont feel I have too bad a capacity problem.However,I dont mind hybred backing.Have about 250 yds of at least 3olb.It can be a problem reeling up line fast,but what reel that I like doesnt have same problem.If I need to I just strip line for a brief moment.No big deal!I like it!Although I dont use it as much because i am more concerned about it because I do like it so much.Make sense?No!I tend to use Bougle's instead.Also use an old perfect.But I baby it ,too.After ,I have them a little longer I will use them more.When I bought my Mohlin it was only $550.Now they are same as Salmon with drag[$800}.Dont see why It shld be same as drag model!I would buy another in a slightly larger size[3 3/4 or better yet 4"]if price was better.Bought a 1920 4" perfect for $500 something instead.Beau

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ordered the Em Salmon which has a disc drag and is priced at $925, plus shipping. My problem is not with the reel or it's capacity. My problem is with the fact I sent a deposit with my order 12 weeks ago and cannot get even a approximately delivery date, despite th the fact that the internet site states that I will receive a delivery date upon placing my order and the reel will be delivered in 4 to 6 week. I understand that Bo's health may, or is, a problem, but I am getting concerned. I am just wondering is anyone has recent experience purchasing a Mohlin reel. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am very grateful for the words used by LCS.

For the last 2 years I have worked very hard for (and with) Bo Mohlin with building him a website and looking after his business. Although I was aware that Bo can be "a bit difficult" to work with from time to time, I still wanted to help him and work with him. Bo is a good man but he is louzy with communication. (And that is an understatement)

However; lately the situation got really difficult with Bo being in and out of hospital. He is suffering from heart problems. He is in Sweden and I am in The Netherlands. During the last 2 to 3 months I have tried very, very hard to keep in contact with him but it just did not work out. He only answered the phone about 2 to 3 times..... I hate the situation, I work very hard to get things organized for all the Mohlin customers. I bought about 40 reels from him 2 years ago so I could sell "from stock" and he would have his hands free to make new custom build models. (That was quite an investment) Over the last 2 years I have written over a 1000 e-mails (!) to Mohlin customers to supply them with the information the need. I have always kept my word and sold many Mohlin reels (which I had in stock) to satisfied customers during the last 2 years.

Before Bo was ill I arranged quite a few "custom build" Mohlin reels for, again, satisfied customers. Mohlin reels are special and 100 % hand made. They last a lifetime. I can only hope and ask for patience with the current orders. I do realize that the standard delivery time is 6 to 8 weeks and that we are way beyond that now. But what can I do? I have paid Bo the deposits (most reels will have personal name engraving) and I can only wait for him to deliver. I try to call every week. I KNOW that the reels will be ready sooner or later. I know this man, I know that he is difficult but honest. I just wished he would TELL me what the situation is like exactly so I can inform my customers. I also realize how bad this all is for the people who ordered a custom build Mohlin and planned to fish it THIS season. (After all, I am a fisherman myself...). But there will be many, many seasons to enjoy the beauty and performance of a custom made, hand build, Mohlin of Sweden reel....

I can only apologize for the situation...

Erik van den Berg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts