Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hoping a member might be able to give me some help on a potential purchase of a Bo Mohlin disk drag model.

The Mohlin click and pawl I had for years had a lovely fairly loud sound which I loved. Note I like loud reels: Perfects, Saracione and the loudest of them all - Olson. My only complaint about my Bogdan is it could be louder.

Hoping someone has a Mohlin disk drag - Trophy Trout or Em Salmon - and can describe the incoming and outgoing sound.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Ive got one, though not sure the model. Beautifully built reel, smooth drag, and NO outgoing click. The only thing I don't love about it. I fish mostly Perfects, and it's been a little bit of a surprise to me how much the click narrates my fishing, from stripping line to the short and long bursts from runs of fish.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. Sounds like there are a couple of options out there. 🤔

J

·
0 Posts
The Em salmon that I own has same outgoing click sound that Sinktip's Esquire Jim had. Since the Em is a larger reel, it maybe doesn't sound quite as robust, but it's close.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A new SpeyCo Sinktip would give you everything you wanted!!!!! ;)

Seriously though, it sucks that you got a bad one, I get it. I would upset too. But man, I have a Symetry Spey that has the strongest drag I’ve ever felt on a click pawl bar-none, and the sound just growls. If I was rich I’d send you one just for another shot

Good luck on the reel man, hope it’s awesome 👍

J

·
0 Posts
I got it now. Had a brain fart before. Bo also made a relatively unknown set of reels which he called his Contemporary Models. He had direct drive, anti-reverse, and something he called Dual action which was an early dual model-type reel. They had a traditional cork disc drag with a center-mounted drag knob on the back for the DD, and on the front for the AR and DA. I had an AR that I used for tarpon, and it was silent. Forgot all about that reel until I looked through my literature. Since his reels were essentially made to order, I believe if one wanted a click mechanism it likely could be done. Don't recall if I ever saw one setup that way, though.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seller says this one has a nice sound but not obnoxious. Now obnoxious is in the ear of the beholder. Not sure I personally ever heard obnoxious as it relates to loud. ��

The Esquire Jim had a great sound. No complaints there. It was just RHW and I reel lefty. I know the Speyco comment was in jest but in all seriousness, the Mohlin is in a whole different league.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The seller says this one has a nice sound but not obnoxious. Now obnoxious is in the ear of the beholder. Not sure I personally ever heard obnoxious as it relates to loud. ��

The Esquire Jim had a great sound. No complaints there. It was just RHW and I reel lefty. I know the Speyco comment was in jest but in all seriousness, the Mohlin is in a whole different league.
I was just having fun brother, let us know how you like the Mohlin. But rest assured, I’ll be sending some pics to ya after another Skeena trip this June :grin2:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still riding the fence Yooper on the Mohlin. Definitely not a need but a want. Miss the one I had and my wife loved the leather case and had it displayed on a bookshelf. I have a similar sized Olson on order too so probably should just pass but ...

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bringing this thread to a close. Ended up buying the Mohlin and it was delivered yesterday. Glad I did. Lovely little reel with a great disk drag. The incoming click is soft and the outgoing one has authority and great tone. Not an Olson sound but louder than a Bogdan and there will be no doubt when a fish takes line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts