Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tied a moal leech last night for the first time and I'm not sure it is right. I glued in the end of the rabbit strip and then put a bead of superglue on the dacron to wrap the rabbit around. When I was finished the whole fly was very stiff from the superglue drying under the rabbit. Is that the way you are supposed to tie this fly? It doesn't seem like it would have any movement in the water as most of the fly is rigid. Do I need to break it in or something? Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use super glue on the end of the rabbit. Then from there, I use regular head cement on the dacron. It seems to work for me and It dose not give super stiff.
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
moal

I know this will take you longer to tie but the fly will last longer, but I use a hideless version of the moal.

Insert the rabbit strip in a dubbing loop, trim away the hide close to the thread and spin the dubbing loop. Wrap the hairhackle down the length of the dacron, folding the fibers away and back as you make each turn...closely. You may need to repeat this process a few times. I get a fly that is very supple, undulates more, is more durable and best of all....is lighter to cast with the spey rod.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use two vises set up about 3.5" apart. One holds the back hook and the other holds the front hook, which is then cut off upon completion.

Brian

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I do not fish them for steelhead but tie them extra long for eel imitations for stripers. I use 65lb power pro and only use glue at the end of the rabbit strips. I just free wrap between each glued down section and have never noticed slippage. I say forget gluing down the body. My flies have stayed together fine and I am whipping them around in the surf on a two hander. My flies are 8-15 inches.

-sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts