Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the WA 45 7/8 on this rod? I picked one up from a member of another board on a whim. It's brand new and I don't want to put a loop on it if it's not a good match for this rod.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
The MKS will fire that thing to the moon so long as you stay off the gas.
If you hit the FF45 too hard you'll get a sloppy upper leg, but if you gently spank it you'll be throwing darts.

High stop is important with the MKS too- and use a 15' plus leader with it if you're fishing it dry.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds promising. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
I have the 14' 7/8/9 Highlander and wondering if the WA-45 or WA-55 in a 7/8 would be a good match ??
Alternately, I also have a 14' 6/7 MKS and wondering how a WA-55 or FF-55 6/7 would fair on this stick ??

Mike

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I have a FF 45 7/8 & 6/7 also. Either way - on the MKS 13' 6/7 or 13.5 7/8 these lines launch like rockets. Essentially the same tapers with the WA looped at 15 does afford a bit more capacity for sink tips ...

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
I have a FF 45 7/8 & 6/7 also. Either way - on the MKS 13' 6/7 or 13.5 7/8 these lines launch like rockets. Essentially the same tapers with the WA looped at 15 does afford a bit more capacity for sink tips ...
The rods that I mentioned have the same grain windows as the rods that you listed Vic ... I should be golden :smokin:
I believe the WA-55 has the same tips as the WA-70, which are cut at 15' like you mentioned. I have the WA-70 7/8 for my 16' 6/7/8 Highlander and it is an unbelievable match !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Anyone tried the WA 45 7/8 on this rod? I picked one up from a member of another board on a whim. It's brand new and I don't want to put a loop on it if it's not a good match for this rod.
The rods that I mentioned have the same grain windows as the rods that you listed Vic ... I should be golden :smokin:
I believe the WA-55 has the same tips as the WA-70, which are cut at 15' like you mentioned. I have the WA-70 7/8 for my 16' 6/7/8 Highlander and it is an unbelievable match !!

Mike
A FF-70 7/8 and 15' 6/8 Highlander are also just incredible together. The one WA I have is a 7/8 and the tip is just short of 15 feet and 77 grains. I don't go much heavier with tips or flies though. One-hundred grain type 8 DC or SA speytip is as heavy as Ive cast with 13.5 MKS and WA. I'm sure it will go further and beyond with a shorter 45.

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
Vic, my intensions with these lines do not include heavy tips at all, I have other lines for that. Rather more of a delicate presentation and smaller offering, while having the option to aid sinking the fly in the cold waters that I fish. Thanks for the info :)

Mike

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
on all of Bob's rods (one of the great things about Meisers is the consistency), the NextCasts (also consistent) work out like this:

Bob uses triple designations on most of his rods, like say 6/7/8. Well, except MKS but this still hold s for them too.
For all the rods, two NextCast lines can be used. On this 6/7/8, use a 6/7 for a lighter, crisper feel or a 7/8 for deep loading and biggest distance. But the heavier line will ask a bit more from you as a caster in terms of timing.

Nextcasts and Meisers are a great combination.

Other rods might require a little more attention to grains and casting characteristics, for instance I have a 9/10 LeCie (which is really an American 8) that absolutely screams with a 7/8 FF45. The 6/7 FF45 was totally uninspiring on that rod, even though it was within the keyhole range for the rod.
There's a research thread on Fall Favorites I ran on Speypages when the FFs first came out, it's on the Spey Pages. We swapped lines all around, mailed heads all over the US and Canada, and guys gave feedback on what lines they liked on which rods. Definitely worth reading.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=42322

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
Many thanks for the info regarding Meiser's and Nextcast lines Mr.Spaz :):)
I have 7 Meiser's that can potentially all be lined with Nextcast lines ... :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on all of Bob's rods (one of the great things about Meisers is the consistency), the NextCasts (also consistent) work out like this:

Bob uses triple designations on most of his rods, like say 6/7/8. Well, except MKS but this still hold s for them too.
For all the rods, two NextCast lines can be used. On this 6/7/8, use a 6/7 for a lighter, crisper feel or a 7/8 for deep loading and biggest distance. But the heavier line will ask a bit more from you as a caster in terms of timing.

Nextcasts and Meisers are a great combination.

Other rods might require a little more attention to grains and casting characteristics, for instance I have a 9/10 LeCie (which is really an American 8) that absolutely screams with a 7/8 FF45. The 6/7 FF45 was totally uninspiring on that rod, even though it was within the keyhole range for the rod.
There's a research thread on Fall Favorites I ran on Speypages when the FFs first came out, it's on the Spey Pages. We swapped lines all around, mailed heads all over the US and Canada, and guys gave feedback on what lines they liked on which rods. Definitely worth reading.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=42322
Good stuff again. You've been on a roll lately w/ informative posts. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I need to try that one on my 15' DC, bet it would be like the flying monkeys. Sonic booms, howls, children screaming, etc.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried the 45 7/8 today in a practice session. Spey Spaz is right on. That bad boy jumps off the rod unless you step on it. It's a very sweet match and will become my new fall tips line. Thanks all.

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
I have the 14' 7/8/9 Highlander and wondering if the WA-45 or WA-55 in a 7/8 would be a good match ??
Alternately, I also have a 14' 6/7 MKS and wondering how a WA-55 or FF-55 6/7 would fair on this stick ??

Mike
hi mike,
I like the 8/9 weights for my 15' 7/8/9 highlander in WA70 and WA55. They can fish close in to as far as you can cast them.
gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts