Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some input on Meiser MKS 13’6” 7/8 vs. CND North Fork 13’3” wt.8. ( advantage /weakness).
What Skagit line works well on these rods.

Martin

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Mks 13'6"

is a great rod. RIO does not yet have a line recommendation for this rod. I have used the belly section of the 9/10/11 WC (tip 2 removed) and 15 foot tips. I have also used it with tips and a compensator. This combination is a little long for best casting, but I have not cut up a compensator yet. I have also used it with the 450 Skagit, the AirFlo 7/8 Skagit and the 550 Skagit. The Skagits should have an added 5' section for best casting with a 15' tip. The 9/10/11 WC with floating tip is very pleasant for floating line work.

I have not had the opportunity to use the CND rod yet, so cannot comment on lines that work well with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Meiser MKS 13'6" 7/8 is one incredible rod. After casting Ted's at the Clearwater Clave in '05 I bought my own...despite having two rods of similar line ratings! For my stroke it is hands down the best rod I have ever cast. For tips the Rio Skagit 550 will deliver any tip you care to fish. For a floater the Windcutter 9/10/11 without the mid section was great as is the Carron. Had I cast the MKS before the 1307 I had Bob build the choice would have been simple. MKS all the way.

Get a hold of Mike at the Red Shed (he's a Meiser dealer and should be getting demos any day now from Bob) and have him send you one of these for a test drive.

Buying from Bob is a great experience. He is one heck of a guy and builds stunning customs and stands behind them.

Take care,
Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really dig the 550 skagit on my Meiz 13'6 7/8 MKS. Casts 20 ft of T-14 without breaking a sweat. Cannot say enough about this rod...take one for a test drive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
After watching Ryan at Kaufmann's in Bellevue throw the North Fork for a couple days I can tell you he has it dialed for a line so you may want to give them a call to get a line if you are looking at the NF. Great shop and good people with lots of help.

JJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts