Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the steelhead flies i tie involve mixing two different colors/types of dubbing. I usually do this by hand but was wondering if anyone has a better method/machine that might bring more consistency in color. Any thoughts?

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Add a little water

Adding a little water to the mix will give you a more consistant blend. Kind of a pain 'cause you have to wait for it to dry. And by all means,,,DO NOT USE YOUR WIFE'S EVERYDAY SPICE/COFFEE GRINDER. :tsk_tsk::eek: :Eyecrazy: Go and buy your own.:D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Just to go a step further than JD, If I am mixing dubbing, especially materials that have different textures I will place the chopped mixture into a mason jar with some warm water, a couple of drops of dish soap shake the mixture until all materials are to your liking as far as color and shading goes. Rinse it well until no soap remains rinsing in a paper coffee filter.
Then pour the mix into a fresh ( no soap residue ) paper cone coffee filter so it drains out without loosing any of the short bits.

Once sufficiently drained place the matted dubbing onto a pad of papertowels, roll it up and squeeze to force out the water. Once you are happy with having dried it as best you can. Lay it out onto clean paper towels to dry overnight. You can use your own imagination to speed the drying if need be.

A ladies undergarment bag for the drier works well just use a medium heat setting so you don't melt any sythetics you have in the blended dubbing, and make sure the material of the bag is fine enough in weave to keep any dubbing from escaping.

And NO, don't ask me where I got a ladies undergarment drier bag from....:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Cheers.......the color combinations and added sparkles are yours to explore

Paul

·
Registered
210 Posts
Blending dubbing

The water method is the old fashioned way and works fine, but you do have the overnight wait for it to dry and you end up with a felted mass that you need to pick apart to use. I think a cheap coffee grinder is much quicker and easier and gives a looser, puffed-up blend that's very easy to use. Also the blender method is better for small quantities of material.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The coffee grinder method has served me well for over 25 years. I blend any proportion of materials or colors I wish, including adding in some flash materials, blending different types of materials (rug yarn, wool, Z-lon, Antron, acrylic yarn, animal underfur) to get what I want.

Although the wet fur (or yarn) method mentioned works, I quit using it the first time I saw Dave Whitlock blending and making dubbing from yarn and underfu with a coffee grinder. The grinder does it quickly, easily, and you can use the dubbing immediately. Simply store the dubbing you make in zip-lock bags.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I've heard

that you have to be a little careful with some of the synthetics in a grinder, too much can melt them.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Quick and easy dubbing

I just wait 'til my wife's done the wash and drying and then I raid the lint filter. You can really get some good stuff out of there, especially if she's done my clothes after I've been tying, petting the dog and trimming my beard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts