Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the min post length of 10 characters? Must every reply be excessively verbose? I suspect the most common post is "PM sent". When I try to post that I get an error that a post must be 10 characters long. If I change post to "PM sent " I still get the error even though that post is 10 characters long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed the forum appears to be taking my post with "PM sent " and taking out the spaces.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically what I try to post even when in quotes is being edited for me. What's really my post and what's being made up by the forum Matrix???

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I believe that the minimum post size of ten characters is standard for all forums operating on vBulletin software. It's not something that can be easily modified, even at the Admin level, by forum ownership.

Probably should just get used to it and learn to work around the limitation. That's why I frequently use a series of dots after a short post like this;

PM sent...

·
Administrator
800 Posts
This is something that Admins need to do. The minimum is 10 characters per post. I doubt we'll make it any lower, it'll be easy for spammers to come into the site.

Lee, community support

·
Administrator
800 Posts
Hi,
I have sent a request to the staff asking if they will lower it, I have to get permission first.

Thanks,
Marie, Community Support

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Just changing the limit to 6 would allow "PM sent" to fly. But if you have a good reason to keep it at 10, I'll stop complaining and live with it.

Any comment on the software making changes to the content of a post without even notifying the user?

·
Administrator
800 Posts
The question is... why do you want to lower it?

We can do it but if we lower it, users get spammed then we'll need to clean it back up.

Lee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The question is... why do you want to lower it?

We can do it but if we lower it, users get spammed then we'll need to clean it back up.

Lee
I said why I want to lower it: so the extremely common post of "PM sent" is allowed without jumping through bad error messages to figure out how to communicate such a simple message. The limit would be much less annoying if it actually informed the user that some characters like " " don't count as characters.

The question now is... why do you think low character limits on posts increase spam? "Fix you Johnnie now" is way more than 10 characters. I've done research and I find no one else saying that low character counts reduce spam just that high character counts reduce low value posts like "K".

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts
We are going to keep the minimum post length at 10 characters, just to keep it simple and effective :)
This has been the first noted issue with this set-up. Pretty sure most other forums do the same to protect against spam. It's one tool that does help, keeps the automated spam out anyways.

mbowers > there are ways around it that many use, like signing their name to their post each time or adding an emoticon.

Fred never has a problem with his posts .... he always has a lot to say - :chuckle::chuckle: (sorry Fred, couldn't resist)

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts