Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike Kinney is one of the finest two-handed fly casters I have ever met. I recall one day when I watched him pick up 1/2 dozen different rods with radically different lines on them and cast them all perfectly without even a warm up cast. He just picked them up, moved the rod a few times to get a feel for the action and line load, then cast. Perfect loops, perfect turnover. I'd never seen anything like it.

Mike's knowledge of spey casting and the early days of the long rods in Washington is encyclopedic. He is truly one of the heroes of two-handed fly casting. We are fortunate to have him in our midst.

Thanks Mike!

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I agree Dana! Mike is a great caster and can sniff out steelhead better than anybody.
He is a true asset to the spey community. I don't even mind following
him through a run. I know he will clean house but I enjoy watching him work.
The thing is I never have to follow him through because he lets my
sorry ass have the first run through. A true gentlemen!
You owe me Mike for this ass kissing!!! :roll:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Mike was a big influence on my spey casting and steelheading through the years. I first met him at the Swallows Nest downtown, where he and Les Johnson and the gang kept us up to snuff with our gear and knowledge.

I remember how I first met Mike maybe 12 years ago. I bought a new spey rod and walked in to talk to Mike about a line. I had been told he was the one to talk to about custom lines that handle sinktips well. He hadn't cast the rod I bought before, so he came out to the parking lot and I got the rod out of the truck. He lined it up, and without water threw a bomb of a single spey cast clear into the next parking lot. There were city people walking by who knew nothing about flyfishing, but were amazed and came over to talk to him about what they just saw. Based on the wisdom and insight I got from him I always made the trek downtown to buy my the next three two-handers, two spey reels and several lines. The sage advice and deep knowledge he had to offer was always worth the trip.

I had the opportunity to fish with Mike a few years back, as much a lesson on every aspect of the river and it's inhabitants as it was a pursuit of chrome. We are truly lucky to have a 'living legend' who is so willing to offer what he knows to his fellow anglers.

Thanks Mike!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Despite Mike always giving me some sort of friendly ribbing over my choice of long 2-handers (especially the 16'er I use in winter) and long belly lines for nearly all my fishing, he is a true gentleman and someone I always both enjoy and look foreward to meeting on the river. I consider it a priviledge to know him, if only a little.

Like Dana already mentioned, Mike's knowledge of steelhead fly fishing and 2-hand rods is phenomenal.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
A gentleman, yes...
A supurb teacher on the water, yes....
Someone I am glad to consider a friend, hell yeah!!

Not to mention a great buddy to share his scotch riverside with a few guys on Tuesday! ;) ...and he is on my most influential spey casters list. I have to join Big K1 on the butt kissing thing.

vinnie

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I think we have gone a little overboard. Mike Kinney a gentleman I don't
think so. Cantankerous ol' fart comes to mind! :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
M. Kinney, Esq.

By coincidence, I met Mike for the first time the day before Dana's post. (I've seen him around sports shows.) Without my asking, he let me make a few casts with his beautiful little Meiser 8/9. (Flytyer will understand why he didn't ask to try my 16' Alltmor.) I vote gentleman.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am going to have to go with Bob on the above :hihi: I would say that Mike is for sure one of the most versitile casters that I have ever met and I think I learn a little more each time were on the river together. A day spent on the river fishing with Mike will quickly make you realize that its not how far you can cast or what type of line you use to get it out there its all about presentation. That no B.S approach to steelheading is one of the many things that I admire in Mike and also the fact that he is one of the true legends of our sport and has kept it a class act all the way. Plus any man that would share his bottle of Lagavlin with you in a torrential down pour on the Skagit can't be 1/2 bad :hihi:

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
For us low-lifes, too!

I should add that Mike is not just kindly to those of you who know what you are doing, or those who might have something to share in return. From my perspective, he really shines with those of us who are new to two-handers. He is never too high, too mighty, or too busy to share his help and encouragement regardless our skills or status.

I will never forget the day he told me that he would be happy to sell me a line that would work better for me on my new rod, BUT he knew I could build lines myself. He then proposed that I build the line with specifications he generously provided. In doing this he gave up the income the sale would have provided. Over the short time that I have known him, I've seen numerous other similar acts.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Deercreek Lines and Scotch

Mike Kinney

Good subject I doubt that Dana has enough sever to let list all that I would like to say so I will make it short.
I met Mike many years ago at the Swallow’s Nest in down town Seattle when I was transitioning from Goldwest‘s, Hardy’s and Bruce and Walkers to Sage.
Mike I and talked about His Deer Creek lines and new 9140/4 as he tied a fly.
He handed me the fly and said to use it (the fly is framed and sits on my Flywall in my shop.
I went back to the Hotel and pondered what Mike had said and went in the next day bought the line and I must say that nothing has been the same since.
Mike has been in the forefront of Speycasting.
Over the past few years I have got to know and understand the Sauk River’s Gillie’s Spey Philosophy and must say he is a very unique gentleman.
Mike has been helping with The day On the River program for over two years now and I must say he nerve stops
Amazing me.
I must say the Sport is much richer because of Mike.
I vote for Gentlemen ( and friend)
:smokin:

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I will second all that has been written above. What is surprising to me is no one has mentioned Mike's humor. When ever I am fortunate to attend Sat. On The River I not only learn numerous things about casting and fishing but get a little :chuckle: from Mikes dry humor.

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to say that Mike Kinney must be the most patient man alive. When I started casting with a Spey rod 2 years ago it was a nightmare to watch :Eyecrazy: but under his and Aaron's tutelage almost every Saturday since then my casting has improved greatly. I still have a long way to go but I've come leaps and bounds because of Mike. His collaborative effort with Bob Meiser has produced a phenomenal series of Spey rods aptly named "Mike Kinney Special". I purchased one last January (13'6" 8/9) and I love it!! This rod is a real joy to cast. Its amazing that for someone who doesn't self-promote that he's so well known. I guess actions do speak louder than words. The above posts are right on about his dry humor.

Thanks for all your help Mike!

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts