Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the week following the Clearwater, Idaho Spey Clave on Sept 24, 2005 I am putting a spey casting class together with Mike Kinney as the instructor.

For those that do not know Mike, or his history: He is one of the elders of the "Skagit" family, and was fore-front in it's development. His fishing knowledge is astounding. His delivery/fly presentation styles, the rods, line systems, and flies that he uses, are all very refined....Almost to an essence.

For more info please contact me via e-mail: [email protected], private message, or phone 208-486-6098.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not to mention one heck of a nice fellow. Mike join several of us here on the upper Rogue and put on a couple clinics ... eye opening to say the least. Glad this fellow doesn't fish the Rogue much ... there'd be NOTHING left for the rest of us!! :saeek:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

Those of us who fish the same rivers as Mike have the benefit of getting to see the master steelheader at work, as well as getting to occassionally talk to him riverside to boot.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Founding Father Skagit Master

Man, there are only two folks I'd want to take a Skagit/Spey/Steelhead master class from - and Mike Kinney is at the head of that list.

Poppy, count me and my Spey Mama in. That's two for a class. The check is on the way.

The only thing that could be better than sharing a campfire and my camp chili with Gentleman Mike Kinney, like we did at the Sandy Clave, would be a day on the river, rod in hand, learning how a true Founding Father of PNW Spey and Skagit casting, master steelheader and Skagit/Stilly legend does it.

And what a coup to get a demo from Mike Kinney for the preceding inaugural Clearwater Spey Clave and Barbeque on September 24.

Kudos.

T.S.T.W.L.A.M.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I owe Mike many thanks for his help at Swallows Nest as my obsession with Spey began many moons ago... and even as recently as the Sandy Clave he's put some good ideas in my head with respect to casting and fishing. I have drifted around (still drifting) in the Spey world in terms of style, preferences and geography but I appreciate the foundation built on the advice of a local legend.

Thanks Mike and I envy those who will attend.

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Terrific opportunity!

Were it not for Mike and his patient and thoughtful instruction I would be among the many who unloaded their two-handers on eBay. I would have reverted back to my roots in the world of the single handed rod. Thanks to Mike, I'm a much better fly caster AND a better flyfisher as well.

If you can make this class, I highly recommend it! Your casting and your fishing skills will both improve.

One warning though--if you want to hook fish, NEVER, NEVER fish behind him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Or in front of him!!! As you will be quickly aware of the fish that you failed to hook. As I have found sometimes its just better to watch and learn :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a great learning experience! Wish I could make it. :( I have to concur with Bert on Mike's influence on greenhorn Spey casters such as myself. I probably would have quit too if it weren't for his and Aaron Reimer's assistance. Hey Poppy, I was surfing your site for Mike's pic but couldn't find it. Is it in a top secret place?

Kevin

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
More than worth it.

Just took Mike's class Monday on the Clearwater. From beginner beyond you get the help you need. It is especially valuable for an intermediate caster to have a set of good eyes to pick up the little things that need a tweak. If you get a chance, spend the day with Mike. Great fishing tidbits too!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll second that Ted. Mike's class was really great. He is an excellent instructor. I was out till dark last night re-living our class. I'll sign up again.

Strange thing; everyone around here is wearing a Red Shed hat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts