Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Learning from Mike Kinney through Dana Sturn

Whoa! Everytime I am around Mike Kinney I learn something new and valuable. Your interview continues that trend.

Any interview can only be as good as the interviewee. This is a great one. Like Mike it is compact, straight forward and no nonsense. His comments, though brief, are, like good haiku, deep with insight and filled with information, if you know what to look for and how to read between the lines.

Ever since I first met with and talked to Mike Kinney I feel privileged to know him. Lots of people in spey casting/fishing toot their own horn without much real substance behind it. Mike is the reverse. Much substance, little tooting. Al Buhr is like that too. As a matter of fact, can you make your next interview of Al Buhr? That would be invaluable.

But back to Mike Kinney. When I found out Mike would be teaching a class on Skagit casting at the Clearwater clave I was the first to sign up. I was not disappointed. As a casting instructor I am always looking for ways to learn and improve both my spey casting and my teaching of it. I got both from Mike - new insight into spey casting (not just Skagit) and new techniques and insights into teaching spey casting. Great stuff.

Thanks to Mike, a very private and understated man, for agreeing to do the interview, and thanks to you Dana for asking the right questions. I learned some invaluable things. This interview alone was worth the year's Spey Pages supporter subscription price.

fliegenfischer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts