Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks to all that attended Mike Kinney's instructional casting classes on the Rogue this past week.

...And a thanks to all that sent E-mails in appreciation for Mike's shared knowledge.

Mike was a busy lad....With over 30 students attending over the past 10 days, several flying in from all over the country.

<> With a few BBQs and libation in the interum ... Plus a suprise visit by the "Anti Clause"....};^)...!!!!

Mike left this AM to meet up with Joe Howell on the NUmp for a few days.

Hope he get's clouds and a little rain, the bite was tuff on the sunny Rogue while he was here.

Mike <> Always a joy for Maureen and I to have you here my friend...

.... And thanks for sharing your stories and incredible knowledge of our sport with all who attended.

You da man bud...};^)...!!!

Meiz

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
So The "Anti Clause" sleigh stopped at casa de meiz for a visit. Very cool.
I just got word that the single malt supplies in S. Oregon/N. Cal.
have taken a hard hit and we may need a air drop direct from Speyside. :D
Sounds like a great time was had by all. See you in a week and a half.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kev,

Yep,

It was good for the jolly ole Anti Clause to come flying in for a few days.

<> But sadly I think that he may have left with low Summer Season Spirits as he saw far too many Rogue fly guys chucking weighted nymphs at Steelhead on the upper river.

...And I saw him checking his list and checking it twice.

I fear that a whole lot of us naughty Southern Oregon flyfishers may find their waders stuffed full of coal chunks come the Winter Season.

Hopefully a few days on the Deschutes skating dries will bring that old twinkle back to his eyes....};^)...!!!

Meiz

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Kev,

Yea I know that's scary....But that's why they call him the Anti Clause.

<> Glad he did'nt catch me....};^)...!!!

But Kinney's toast....He had on a bug so big we called it the "Daisy Cutter"

Meiz

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries Kev....

The Spey gods seem to be benevolent bunch, and besides <> Mike's been fishing their waters so long he's on a first name basis with most of them.

Meiz

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Big K1 said:
Say it ain't so!!!! I hope he didn't have a bobber on. The swing gods are crying. :(
Mike and I spent the day hunting the Rogue for 'lost souls' fish (minimally effective I have to add) BUT that said: HE USED A BOBBER/INDICATOR most of the day. I fished down stream lots of yards away to keep my 'reputation,' such as it is, in tact.

Interesting thing is Mike is the ONLY guy I've ever met who could actually launch two huge bugs, indicator, etc., out at the 90 plus foot range. :saeek: Even at that range (lower Denmon) he was laying his fly's right down the seam on the far side of the river. (This is one place where a long cast is absolutely required as the fish hold in a slot against the far bank.)

I stacked my rod, pulled out a pack of smokes, sat on the beach and watched The Master in his element. Too Cool!

When Mike says he's caught well over 2,000 steelhead, with that level of casting and line control I've NO doubt of the truth of the mater. God he's good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts