·
Registered
58 Posts
Taken from Frødins video on tubes:

Tube 1.5 - 7 cm
Tag: Oval gold
Butt: Orange antron
Tail: Orange fluorofibre
Body: Gold Lagartun Flatbraid and black dubbing (half each)
Rib: Gold mini flatbraid
Bodyhackle: Orange badgerhackle
Fronthackle: Black heron or substitute
Wing (from bottom and up): Rainbow flashabou (mixed colors), Fiery brown hair (layer 1), Crayfish orange angelhair, Fierybrown hair (layer 2), Rusty olive angelhair, Fiery Brown hair( layer 3), orange peacock herls over.
Sides: Jungle cock
Copper/Black cone head.

Layer 1 should be to the tail, layer two should be longer and define the volume of the wing, layer 3 thin and long. Wing should be made quite wide. Frødin uses templedog for the hair, but good quality fox is a possible substitute.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A great fly for slightly peaty water! A variant of the Phatagorva gave me my first summer salmon a few years back. As for variants, every Scandinavian salmon angler seems to tie their own version. I actually bought an original Phatagorva from Mikael Frödin himself at a tying seminar last year. It was tied with roughly the same materials and ingredients as Knutalf´s description above, only for that particular variant he didn´t tie a tag or a butt and used a black Metz soft hackle for the front hackle. I guess the main thing is to tie a well tapered and broad wing that reaches pretty far back from the hook.

I usually tie my tube flies on apr. 1 cm copper tubes these days (way cheaper, also gives the fly a slightly more "hoovering" action in the water as opposed to the "jigging" motion the cone head gives) but still on two sizes of soft tubing, which means you tie the front hackle and top wing on the smaller tube, which makes it easier to get a small and tidy head. This approach is often used by another "name" Swedish fly tyer, Mikael Lindström. Using two sizes of tubing is also the technique Frödin uses in order to get a small head which enables you to slip over the cone head without showing any thread.

·
Registered
260 Posts
beau purvis said:
thank everyone for the help.I also found a place to buy some of his flies for a close look.Beau
Just for the record, those flies are tied by others (in south eastern Europe, I think) and not by the "master" himself. He gave up tying professionally a few years ago, just seems to supply his buddies and other notable people with his stuff nowadays. The price could be an indicator to whether the fly is tied by Frödin himself or "manufactured"; a genuine Frödin fly usually sells for about 150 SEK/$ 20 :Eyecrazy:

From what I´ve seen, the "Frödin-designed" flies are not nearly as nice as the real ones. For example, they are tied using fox tail instead of templedog hair (doens´t really matter in my book, since I don´t think the salmon care...), which is no small wonder since real templedog hair is about 3 or 4 times as expensive as fox and also really hard to find, if you want fine quality. But they should none the less be a good help to learn the technique. The success of all types of templedog style flies lies in the design of the wings and the balancing effect of the conehead/copper tube. A "templedog" fly doesn´t really have to have a templedog hair wing. It´s more of a tying style, really.

Another interesting fact about Frödin is that he really started out tying classic fully dressed salmon flies and even wrote a book about these old gems. But he´s of course more famous for his hair wing tube flies. The term "templedog fly" was actually coined by one of his buddies, Håkan Norling, who along with Frödin is a great innovator of salmon fliles. Norlings technique is a bit different, though. He normally ties the wings in "reverse-style", which is good in heavy water as the angle helps to maintain the silouette of the fly. Frödin ties the wings in the traditional way, although his use of a palmered body hackle and multiple tapered wings in practice leads to the same effect.

For more info about these fellers, I think that Lagartun´s web site still has some pics of their flies, as well as Partridge´s.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I dont know if Frodin is a member here or not, but you could look him up on facebook. I am facebook freinds with him. You could ask the man himself any questions you may have

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You guys realize how long ago I posed that ?...2005!! By the way, I caught all my fish[ two were in mid 20's] but one on Mike Kinney Skagit minows,intruders tied by me and a Sid Glasso sol Duc spey tied by me!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts