Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone could give me a quick run down on these 2 lines and compare a couple of features of each,and share their personal preferences?

First,how do the loop systems in the new model lines compare?

I heard that Airflow changed their loops recently and was wondering if it ended up being a good or bad thing on these lines and how they now compare to the Rio in all ways(turnover,durability,going through the guides,strength,etc)

What kind of traits stand out with each when cast and compared to each other?

Is one slicker than the other(I assume the Airflow might have a slight advantage here based on my experiences with their other single handed lines)?

What about total features offered in the multi tip system?

Airflow offers 4 tips I think up to type 7 sink?Where as Rio offers up to a type 8 tip I think as well as the sink tip compensator?Is that correct?

It sounds like the Rio has several advantages here with the sink rates and the compensator.Can a similar compensator be purchased or made up for the Long Delta?

If so,what do most guys do when they get the Deltas and Long Deltas and want to cut them and add a compensator or other tips off it?

Which system do most seem to prefer over all and which has the most desirable features?

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
on my custom (cheap) tips lines, I have made my own "compensator" using a section of intermediate line of the proper grainage.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I generally prefer the AIRFLO over the Midspey for casting smoothness and turing over tips. That said you are right that if you buy the multi tip versions, the AIRFLO does not have as many options as the Rio lines. I already have tips from a couple of past multi tips and now just buy the striaght Long Delta floater and cut it at around 30 feet and 15 feet and put in loops so I can splice in a big boy with both tips out or put in a compensator and a tip or leave in the mid section and just use 15' tips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts