Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I'm looking at purchasing either a 9/10 Midspey with tips or a Delta Long with tips. Does anyone out there feel stongly one way or the other about which line performs better? I understand that the Airflo shoots very well, but the tip system on the Midspey seems more sophisticated-- at least it seems to have more parts!
Thanks,
JGE

·
Registered
143 Posts
In terms of taper and grain weight, the 2 lines in 9/10 are very similar. Both good lines but I much prefer the ultra-durable finish on the delta. Can't say much about the tips because I haven't used them. (In winter, the only time I use tips, I just hang a short tip on the end of full length floater). In line weights other than the 9/10, the weight in grains varies tremendously between the two brands, so be very careful.

Poul

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
I run a 9/10 Delta Long with assorted 10' PolyTips on my 13'-8 Dec Hogan. A full set of Polytips gives a good range of sink rates in 1"/second increments.

One thing I really like about the Airflo's is that the weight of Delta is the same as the weight of the Long Delta. There's no re-learning curve when switching. They are extremely slick, & float high.
FWIW, I've dyed the belly hot orange & tied a nail knot at my pinch point. Sure makes it easy when setting up a cast.

Non-Disclaimer: I'm on Airflo's guide program, so there might be a tiny bit of prejudice;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmm if Bob's running the Air Flo Long Delta Spey with sinking tips on GL tribs. thats a set up I need to seriously consider.

PM Out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I'm not in a huge rush, so I may wait and see how I like the Airflo Traditional. Either way, it sounds like I can't go wrong choosing any of those lines.

Take care,
JGE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts