Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to find a good tips line to throw on a Daiwa Alltmor S 15'2" 10/11 spey special. It's been fun playing with Speybums line, but it's also been work if you know what I mean.

I'm trying to avoid cutting an XLT 10/11 because I have yet to hear from someone who is thrilled with the cut line. As a floater on the Daiwa the XLT... Bang, zoom, to the moon alice!!

So last night I'm thinking about midspeys and the thought occured to me that there must be some enterprising spey caster out there with more lines than sense (That covers just about all of us:hehe: ) who has tried some of the windcutter upgrades on a midspey line. Surely someone has... Speak up please!!!

Phil

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, not exactly in line with your question.

Mike at his 'RedShed' shop cut up a 10-11 MidSpey for me to toss 330-400+ grain heads. Works very well due to the concentration of grains in the MS head. Have worked this combo off a 15' 10wt Sage and Scott. The Scott, being a tad stiffer handled the job a bit better.

In context, prior to this I was using a cut back RIO Alcrtr. for the job, but wasn't 'thrilled' at it's performance.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the Delta Traditional 10/11 on the rod. It looked at me, and said "did you just string a line through my guides? Are you sure? Wait, wait, I almost felt myself loading... Nope, must have been a breeze" :chuckle:

It's a funny rod in that some lines I would have thought would perform well didn't, and others surprised me by being very good. I wouldn't have guessed midspey. I wouldn't have guessed 11 wt triangle taper. I would have thought Delta traditional too.

I need to find opportunities for summer work for this rod. The 10/11 XLT (over 1200 grains) is alot of fun. Maybe early summer season with copper tubes.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Philster,

Try the 9/10/11 Upgrade with the 10/11 MidSpey to keep from overloading or at least making the line feel very heavy with your rod. Remember that the 10/11/12 Windcutter + 10/11/12 Upgrade weighs 970 gr. with 69 ft of head. The 10/11 Midspey + 10/11/12 Upgrade would be closer to 1100 gr. with a 79 ft head, a lot of grains in only 80 ft of line.

Prior to the long-belly lines becoming available, I used the 9/10/11 Upgrade on first a 10/11/12 Windcutter and then a 10/11 MidSpey on my T&T 1611. I bought and tried the 10/11/12 Upgrade on the T&T 1611 and the 10/11/12 Windcutter but it always felt like the rod was overloaded a bit. When I went to the 9/10/11 Upgrade, the "heavy, overloaded" feel simply vanished. Your Altmor should be happy with the same lines my 1611 is happey with.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! I knew someone had to have tried it! Thanks FT

·
Registered
439 Posts
DT

Have you thought about using a Double Taper with a loop on the front for attaching your sink tips?
Leroy..............

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have cut both my 7/8 and 9/10 xlt to use with tips and love them. If that line casts well on your rod it will blast out tips with no problems. Need to cut it back quite a ways - on my 9/10 I cut it at 26 feet

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
XLT Cut points

are listed on the Board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts