Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New spey caster here :)

As far as casting a midspey line (airflo delta mid or something like that), do you cast the thicker tapered section, like 50-60 ft, and shoot line for more distance, or do you just cast as much line as you can?

I've been watching the Rio modern spey casting video, and Mr Gainsworth seems to say you shoot line for more distance.

The transition from the weight forward line to the running line is not color coded on my airflo line. Maybe I sholuld mark it with a marking pen?

Thanks in advance!

·
loco alto!
2,991 Posts
In general, any WF line only casts with a few feet of overhang beyond the rod tip. You can cast any length of line up to that point, but to get more distance beyond it, you have to shoot line.

You can mark the overhang transition point, but unless the mark is very big, it can be hard to see in low-light when it is 13-15' away. Some folks prefer to mark the holding point instead, or align the holding mark with the first stripping guide.

On mid lines, I prefer to mark at 70'. If I want to overhang the entire WF belly, then I strip the 70' mark to roughly the middle of the rod. If I want less line out, then I strip the 70' mark to my hand, or beyond, using a fixed number of pulls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts