Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone out there is currently using a midspey on this model rod, I 'm thinking of buying it (line). I currently am using the Wincutter but having difficulties throwing heavier tips. What advantages does the midspey offer over the WC? Perhaps a 9140 with a little stiffer tip section? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Advantages?

Hi Surfer,

I own the 8150 and have fished quite a few different lines on it. The Windcutter 8-9-10 loads it very well. If you went to a MidSpey, you'd probably want the 8/9wt (or maybe even the 7/8wt). Try before you buy if possible!

That being said, the WindCutter is by far the better tip line. The heavier mass in a shorter length supports the heavy sections of sinking tip better than the longer/thinner belly of the MidSpey (or any longer belly line for that matter).

Do you have an easier time throwing a full floater?? There's a slightly different timing and "feel" to throwing sinktips than floaters. Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting your casting stroke to throwing the heavier tips (akin to the adjustment of a dry fly fisherman to throwing heavily weighted nymphs)

Good Luck!

DS

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I have the 8150 as well and have played around with the 8/9 midspey on it. It is cutback 15' and looped for tips. Nice setup and has no trouble handling a Rio 15' Type VI 8 weight tip. I don't fish anything heavier tipwise on this rod.

Doublespey is right though, if you are going with a WC, the 8-9-10 is the one to go with. Personally, my line of choice for the 8150 is an 8/9 Accellerator cutback 16' and looped for tips. The Midspey would be a close second though.

sinktip

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 8150 and have used a 8/9 Midspey Interchangable Tip Spey Line with the 15ft type 3 tip. The 8150 can easily pick up the entire 65ft head for standard type spey casts.

Cheers

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,791 Posts
Re: Advantages?

That being said, the WindCutter is by far the better tip line. The heavier mass in a shorter length supports the heavy sections of sinking tip better than the longer/thinner belly of the MidSpey (or any longer belly line for that matter).

DS [/B]

Doublespey could you elaborate a bit more on this statement? Do you mean that it supports the tips in the cast or while fishing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts