Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 7/8 configuration, which of these lines gives a rod a heavier load?

The grains and casting weights are so similar that I'd appreciate input based on actual back-to-back comparisons of these lines.

Also please provide any other insights on the relative casting dynamics of these two lines

·
Banned
161 Posts
Great Question

Great question and I will give you my impression and see if anyone else validates it. They are both great lines for different reasons.

Midspey are very supple and always feel light to me. Nice casting performance and the most delicate of presentations.

Long Deltas seem stiffer and somehow seem to load identical rods more deeply and also seems to generate more line speed. I can definitely pound more line with a Long Delta, but not with the same delicacy.

Enter the SA Spey and I get all confused.

John

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I've found that the Delta long is a heavier loading line whereas the midspey has a finer front taper for a more delicate presentation. I think this can be said of the Delta vs. Windcutter tapers in general. I personally find better performance with the delta long, but if I was going to fish small flies or fish on top I'd probably want the midspey. This must have something to do with personal casting style, because I know guys who swear by the midspeys and don't care so much for the long delta. Try them both if possible. I tend towards a Dec Hogan style cast with short and mid head lines, using a bit of a vertical lifting of the elbow at the end of the D-loop swing with the downward stroke/tug on the forward. Sort of a modified underhand style actually. My cast changes completely when using long bellys. If you cast with the compact stroke you'll probably like the Deltas, or the SA short head. If you cast with the traditional spey stroke you'll probably like the Rio.

The only endorsement I can give is to tell you that I have 6 long delta and 4 Delta lines in my arsenal.Seldom leave home without having one nearby.

My 2 cents. :cool:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hello Steve,

I too agree that the Long Delta feels heavier than the MS. Not starting a war here, but my impression of the Long Delta is that the front taper turns over too quickly and not as smooth as the Rio line. Almost 'klunky' but I have a preferance for very fine tapered lines like the XLT and Wulff. In some instances this trait is very desirable but as a whole I find it borderline annoying.

William

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Depends on preference I guess

inland said:
Hello Steve,

Not starting a war here, but my impression of the Long Delta is that the front taper turns over too quickly and not as smooth as the Rio line. Almost 'klunky'........ as a whole I find it borderline annoying.

William

That same trait is what I see as easy casting with a minimum effort lending itself to great shooting distances. I do agree that the tip does not turn over as softly.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents - thanks for the input.

I did purchase the Delta Long, and all of your comments were spot on (including William's "klunky" comment - I do get that impression, even relative to the heavier Midspeys that I own). That's ok, this line often will be tossing big dries and 2/0 wets, so the front-end power will be appreciated.

To be honest, it feels like a DT spey - unremarkable but predictable.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I think what you'll find remarkable about it as you play with it is how you get the distance without so much effort.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the running line on mine is quite fat ... seems too fat for good shooting. Good for handling, no so good for shooting. Talk slickness yada yada yada, yet for a given slickness, thinner shoots better. Airflo knows this too, and I understand this feature will be modified sometime soon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Would you guys say that the Midspey feels like a DT?

The WC has obviously been updated (better turnover etc). Is this also the case with the Midspey?

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fred

Here is my opinion.

The Midspey lines have a more complex taper that goes "kick-kick-kick" as the line rolls out. They also taper to a finer tip. More finesse

The Airflo lines seem almost like a section of level line connected to a section of Triangle taper. The energy transfer is highly predictable. I think William's term "klunky" is accurate, and it works for me, as I fish very large dries and wets that need power to turn over.

The Airflo seems more like a DT to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts