Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be receiving a rod fow which I will be using a Midspey 6/7. What sized reel will that line fit on? Specifically, can it fit on a Ross BG-4? I put a Hardy Mach I 8/9 on that reel?

Thanks,
David

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooops!

Ooops! I should have put this in the tackle section.

As a Post Script, I am looking at an LW 8Twelve if I decide against using a Ross reel.

David

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
How much backing you getting with the hardy line?

Reason is that hardy line is really a short belly 5/6 spey line. The 6/7 midspey has 20' more belly and will take up a good amount of space comapred to the hardy line. My gut feeling is a BG5 would be better. The BG are pretty small reels all in all for spey lines.

You may be able to go to gel spun and get a 100 yards or so and that line on the BG4.

The LW 8/12 will fit that line with ease.

-sean

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Line

Sean,

I just switched the Hardy with a WF-7 steelhead taper. I would guess 150 - 180 yds of 20#.

I am leaning towards picking up two 8Twelve's and a couple extra spools. One for 6/7 -7/8 lines and the other set for 8/9 lines. That way I can easily switch the reels/spools around. I was wondering if I could get get away with BG-4 for the 6/7 as I have unused extra spools for that reel. I have a BG-6 but I am not going to buy more spools for that reel if I purchase the Danielsson's.

Yup, I am over-thinking this. I am trying to come up with a four rod/two reel arsenal for the Upper Midwest that has enough similar rods that my wife and I can fish the same rivers together but not the same rods.

David

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
If you are fine with a small amount of backing you may get that 6/7 midspey on there but it really is going to be too small.

Just get the LWs and some spools and you should be all set as they will fit lines up to 8/9 without a problem.

-sean

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Loop 3W is an excellent reel for the lighter rods and the MS lines. I use mine for the MS 7/8, WC 678 and MS 6/7.

The Loop 3W matches well with my Sage 5120, 6126 and 7126 any Meiser Switch Rod.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dornblaster,
I have a Danielsson LW8twelve spooled w/200 yds of 30# backing and a midspey 6/7 and it fits nicely. You'll be happy with your choice.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts