Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to get anyone to either brag or spill the beans on their favorite rivers but I'm curious how people's fishing has been this summer so far.

On my PNW steelhead rivers, this has been a very slow summer season so far. (At least for me, I would not attempt to speak for others.) It appears the fish have been late or non-existent and coupled with lower water levels than normal, moments of love has been few and far between.

Do my experiences mimic those in Oregon and Idaho? How about back in the GL region or for our fellow anglers across the pond chasing the leaper?

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
It sucks..............

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well i was getting 4 a day on the sky for awhile but been it has been tough lately. :chuckle:

Like most everyone I know I am getting skunked.

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Slower than molasses flows in a month with an "R" in it

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not much to speak of... I hope to change that tomorrow morning. :hihi:

I guess you have to be an optimist to chase steelhead?

I haven't been out as often as I would like to have been out on the S-rivers this summer.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Brent Comer said:
I haven't been out as often as I would like to have been out on the S-rivers this summer.
Don't worry Brent, you haven't missed much. Despite an early season blip where I raised one while practicing skating techniques, one pull, and one "count to ten" hookup, I've had no action on one of those S rivers despite twice a week, favorite run, first shift attendance for all but one week of the season. At least September will come, not that I'm wishing for life to pass by any faster than it already does.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very slow here too.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rogue has fish

upper and `upper middle' are fishing well,cooler water temps from outflows of lost creek reservoir have the fish in a better biting mood than the lower sections,+,i have cought more searun cutthroat than i can recall=ever!,and these fish are not revealed in the fish counts,one was C-R'd last night by a pal-24 inches :eek: that coupled with thousands of holdover smolts make it interesting,i doubt a flyfisher would get bored here,and more steelhead are moving into the upper section weekly,plus it will close to spring chinook angling the first of august,`calming' the section down so to speak ;) this is a great time to visit the upper rogue,plus it's cooler `up there' due to higher altitude,beutiful mountainous scenery,,,and plenty to see and do there for the family;crater lake national park comes to mind,, ;) ,,no,,,i'm not promoting any business/guide/etc.,,,just giving you an option ;)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hammer's correct, things are beginning to really 'warm up' around here. The spring king season appears to be 'not a good thing.' Less than half the 'normal run' at this point ... doubt it will get much better. The good thing though is we've already got fall kings showing up in the upper river. Very early for these fellows.

Vis a vis summer runs, the upper Rogue usually doesn't really kick into gear until very late August-early September. This years is getting off to a much quicker than normal start ... about 2,700 already through the counter north of Medford (Gold Ray dam).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hey!

some other items of note,if an angler had the time,,,well,that's a thread by itself eh'? :chuckle: ,if you fished the upper Rogue for two days,you could drive up/around/over to the North Umpqua in,i believe less than two hours,spend two days there,upon returning towards the rogue valley,stop at diamond lake resort for breakfast,visit crater lake for lunch as well,then on to Upper Klamath Lake,and of course the Wood/Williamson rivers,,could you stand to angle such legendary waters all in one week?,hmmmm,especially when they are `on',,,,interesting concept,i guess i should try and become a travel agent for transient two-handers, :) ,,many options here,,,oregon coast is also 2 plus hours away,,so let's see,two days here,,two daysthe--- :chuckle:

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Hammer said:
some other items of note,if an angler had the time,,,well,that's a thread by itself eh'? :chuckle: ,if you fished the upper Rogue for two days,you could drive up/around/over to the North Umpqua in,i believe less than two hours,spend two days there,upon returning towards the rogue valley,stop at diamond lake resort for breakfast,visit crater lake for lunch as well,then on to Upper Klamath Lake,and of course the Wood/Williamson rivers,,could you stand to angle such legendary waters all in one week?,hmmmm,especially when they are `on',,,,interesting concept,i guess i should try and become a travel agent for transient two-handers, :) ,,many options here,,,oregon coast is also 2 plus hours away,,so let's see,two days here,,two daysthe--- :chuckle:
You are talking of trips of my youth spent with my father as instructor. We may not have hit all of those spots on one trip but we spent many fishing trips hit more then one spot. Again I long for home...............

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`again i long for home'

had many `things' to do `online' this eve,read my e-mail,and your post to this thread,,,before getting back around to it i ate dinner,your words came to mind,,,i became sloppy,,,emotional if you will,`home' is a big word to ponder,,for many people there `homes' have changed with growth,,i wish upon a star, ;) ,,but tis not to be the home you remember,you're always welcome!,believe that!,but i'd rather you did not visit without realizing nothing is the same as it was beforehand,no it's no gloom and doom revue of the waters,but the valley has grown tremendously,to much to post here,`again i long for home',yes,,,,, :( ,,,,,i must go,i'm getting tears on my ice cream cone

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been hitting fish everyday on the Skykomish. The only problem is they're six inch smolt that haven't been flushed out by any heavy flow. They are really starting to piss me off. I have heard rumors of fish being seen swimming upstream. I'm sure they're drug induced hallucinations reported by crack fiends.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
In my 8-1-05 post above I noted the 'fish count' at 2,700 ... it's now over 3,800 and climbing every day!! :saeek:

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
GL comments

My home river is running low (>2000 cfs) and hot (75-80+). This year the flow and temp is more of typical summers. Which usually equates to no steel. Last year the flow was greater and the temp rarely got above 75. Steel were running every month.

This year I have caught smallies, crappie, rock bass, bluegill, walleye, catfish, and carp. All on 2-hander and all swinging or dredging. I have also come across some bicycles, shopping carts, canvas bags (probably full of drowned kittens) and some really interesting graffitti. Yes, I fish in the ghetto.

Anyone up for the ghetto clave? Jamey and SVA01 know what I mean. Looking to fill up my posse'.

Gary

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well Kerry S

i did it just for you man!,,,drove to the upper river!,,,still a kick to go upriver 50 miles,different world on either end of the Rogue that's for sure,water's cold!,48 degrees coming out of lost creek,and i had fun,did my detective work,one must constantly gather input ;) and just enjoyed the tour,fishing was secondary,not much fishing pressure,unlike the weeks prior due to `salmon season' so much DOES remain of the old days it still takes me home :smokin: it's still a wonderful place :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts